Norwegian version of this page

Study and research abroad - PhD

All PhD candidates are encouraged to spend time abroad, as part of the data collection or field work for their thesis, or in order to receive supervision or other academic follow-up at another university.

The Faculty encourages candidates to take an international perspective. International experience will be critical to later opportunities for employment in an academic position and for external project funding. Overseas stays will give candidates valuable experience and an opportunity to establish contacts and build networks.

The most common types of overseas stays for social scientists are:

  • guest researcher stays (short stays lasting 2 weeks to 3 months, or longer stays lasting 3-12 months).
  • conference participation
  • course or seminar participation
  • field work

Talk to your supervisor about when to begin planning an overseas stay.

Faculty funding for overseas research stays

Every year the Faculty of Educational Sciences advertises funds for overseas stays for doctoral research fellows at the Faculty. An application for these funds must take the form of a short memo (2 pages), which includes:

  • an explanation of the relevance of the travel
  • the supervisors’ statement about the need for and choice of place in relation to the PhD project and the date chosen for the trip in relation to the progress of the thesis work
  • confirmation of approval from the department head

The application must be sent to the person at the Faculty's administration who is responsible for the organized research training.

The Faculty will request a short report on the trip and the stay (use of funds) within one month of completion of the trip.

Other sources of funding for overseas stays

You should also familiarize yourself with:

If you apply for admission to the Faculty's PhD programme with external funding, check with your employer/funding body what options you have for covering some of your required duties abroad or applying for an exemption from some of your required duties while you are abroad.

Exchange agreements

PhD candidates are often given the opportunity to travel overseas based on the research network their supervisors have developed during their research career. Supervisors thus serve as an important and necessary ‘door opener’ for their candidates. Exchange agreements with other universities often allow for extended stays. The agreements normally cover research trips and courses, and often provide practical and financial benefits compared with ordinary guest researcher stays.

See the general overview of exchange agreements for PhD candidates (in Norwegian)

Travel through Erasmus+

All PhD candidates can undertake a student exchange through Erasmus and receive a grant in the same way as other students. The minimum duration of such stays is three months, and the faculty or department you are affiliated with must have an exchange agreement for PhD candidates with the overseas educational institution.

See the information about Erasmus here.

If you are employed as a doctoral research fellow at UiO, you can also apply for Erasmus funding to teach at another university or for training or courses 

The application procedures for PhD exchanges may be different than for students at a lower level. You should therefore contact your administrative contact person on the PhD programme at an early stage if you are considering taking advantage of an exchange agreement.

Joint supervision agreements

A joint supervision agreement, also known as a cotutelle, normally entails admission to the PhD programme and supervision at two institutions. The affiliation with the institutions will generally be stipulated in the thesis and diploma when the degree is awarded. At present the faculty does not have any ongoing joint supervision agreements with external institutions. Guidelines for joint supervision agreements (UiO).

Did you find what you were looking for?
Published Apr. 22, 2015 8:22 AM - Last modified Mar. 27, 2017 1:21 PM