Presentation of PhD Project: Leading Democratic Education in an Age of Accountability
The main purpose(s) with my study is to a) provide insight into how key public policy documents construct, frame and legitimize democratic education, b) the justifications, sense-making and interactions in democratic education and c) the enactment of the interdisciplinary theme democracy and citizenship.
The following research questions guide the project: (1) How is leadership of democratic education constructed, framed and legitimized in key education policy documents, and what characterizes the implications for leading citizenship education? (2) What are the characteristics of leading democratic education at different levels, and how is the theme ‘democracy and citizenship’ justified and made sense of? (3) How is leadership of democratic education played out in the interactions between school leaders and teachers, and how do they mediate and struggle in the enactment of ‘democracy and citizenship’? (4) How do students perceive education for, through and about leading democratic education in selected schools?
These questions will be answered through the following methods:
- Analyze key education policy documents through a discourse analysis, inspired by a critical policy analysis(RQ1)
- Interview school leaders (Chief Education Officers as well as school principals) in four schools in the two districts regarding democratic leadership practices, and the enactment democracy and citizenship (RQ2).
- Perform linguistic ethnographic ‘discursive shadowing’ of leadership personnel during their daily activities and other activities in two chosen schools .(RQ3)
- Hereunder observe relevant meetings with teachers, students (school board meetings), and the rest of the leadership staff at school and district level.
- Perform a survey with a questionnaire administered to pupils at VG2 in two different districts on how they perceive democratic leadership practices (RQ4)
- Education Act, and the new general part of the curriculum
- Accountability in the school system
- School leaders’ legitimation of values constituted in the Education Act
- Globalization and citizenship education
- Leading and management of conflict resolution education programs and peace education in schools and institutions
- Assessment work for Save the Children Norway
- Teaching and environmental work in schools
- Therapist for youth and adults in the psychiatric sector
- Governmental security and administrative work
- Norwegian Army
- 2017 -d.d. PhD student ved Universitetet i Oslo
- 2013-2015 `Master of Philosophy in Comparative and International Education`, Pedagogisk Forskningsinstitutt, Universitetet i Oslo. Tema: Globalisering og medborgerskap, tilknyttet forskergruppen Curriculum Studies, Leadership and Educational Governance (CLEG).
- 2008 - 2012 Bachelor i Psykologi ved Psykologisk Institutt, Universitetet i Oslo