- Social aspects and implications of new communication systems at various levels, including potentials and problems of broadband democracy and dependency, with a focus on users and local community development.
- The emergence and development of electronic culture and -art forms, and theories of social communication under varying technological conditions, such as non-reductionist models of communication in various types of ´languages´, (like verbal/audio/visual/ kinetic ones), and development of methods of numerical picture- and sound analysis.
- Development, research and coordination of electronic research mediation/network cooperation, via national television and net-systems: ´The Knowledge Channel´ (Kunnskapskanalen) between Norwegian university-, university college-, and high-level research institutions.
- Teaching courses in communication, sociology and cultural disciplines at UiO since 1971, mainly at the Institute of Sociology.
- Started video art teaching at the Norwegian State Academy of Art, 1974.
- Conductor of workshops in various countries, like in video art, Lagos 1977, local media London 1984, Rostock 1991, Berkeley 2005.
- Conductor of distance education courses with electronic media, incl. interactive satellites and net systems since 1989.
- Tutoring students and censor at UiO, University of Lagos, University of Copenhagen, and the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
Higher education and employment history
Mag.art. in sociology, additional disciplines philosophy (methodology) and economics,1970, University of Oslo.
Media studies in tv-production, Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation courses.
Art eduction, various studies in piano, electronic music and video.
Period 1970-91: Researcher at The Institute for Social Research, Oslo. Associate professor, Institute of Sociology and Social Geography, UiO.
1985 - 1995: Coordinating leader of MediaCulture and Tv Forum, with Media Art Gallery.
1995- Coordinating leader of the Knowledge Channel, university-, research- and culture communication network.
1991 - 1998: Associate professor, The University Center of Information Technology; 1998 - 2010 at InterMedia, UiO.
Honoraria and representations
- Winner of the Norwegian musicians´ poll rating as organist, 1967.
- Biennale de Paris, 1969, (with first Norwegian computer art works).
- Prix International de Television, Geneve, (Tv Forum), 1989.
- Tv Forum representative to Eurostep, the European organization for satellite education, 1990-92.
- Prix Pierre-Alain Donnier, Rencontres Media Nord-Sud. Tv-pris (Tv Forum), Geneve, 1994.
- World Exhibition, Expo 2000 in Hannover. Presentation of music material in Norwegian exhibition video.
- Biennale di Venezia, 2003. Presentation of early Norwegian VR-experimental work on E. Kurenniemi-video.
- The Prize for Outstanding Research Mediation 2010, University of Oslo, Faculty of Educational Sciences, with the Knowledge Channel.
The reference group on frequency policy of the Norwegian Telecommunications Authority, 2003-04.
The reference group on ´Digital Divides´ of the Norwegian Ministry of Trade and Industry, 2001-02.
The State Library Authority committee on libraries and broadband, 2001.
The board of InterMedia, University of Oslo, 1999.
The Norwegian governmental Mass Media Commission, 1978-80.
Professional organisations (board):
Norwegian Section of the International Society for Contemporary Music, (Foreningen Ny Musikk), 1969-73
Oslo Musicians´ Union, (Oslo Musikerforening), 1970-71
Norwegian Confederation of Trade Unions, Region Oslo, (Oslo faglige samorganisasjon) 1970-75
Other organisations (board):
The Campaign Against Atomic Weapons, (Kampanjen mot atomvåpen, arbeidsutvalget), 1964-65
Oslo Workers´ Society, (Oslo Arbeidersamfunn), 1967-70
Association of Socialist Cultural Workers, (Sosialistiske kulturarbeideres forening), 1974-76
The Norwegian Labour Party, central board, (Det norske Arbeiderpartis sentralstyre), 1969-75
- MediaCulture, TV Forum, Gallery Media Art - research&communication network, incl. local and satellite tv; including the Norwegian State Academy of Art, Statistics Norway, Institute for Social Research, The Museum of Contemporary Art, etc., 1985 - 96.
- Europstep, The European organization for satellite education, 1989 – 93.
- Kunnskapskanalen (The Knowledge Channel); national research&communication network between Norwegian universities and various university colleges, transmitting nationally in cooperation with the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, 1996 -
Publications from 1969 to 1998
Listed here (pdf), categorized as follows:
1. Sociology of science, social theory, method
3. Culture and art
4. Communication, art & technologies: computer,vr, video, satellite, net, holography
5. Communications technology & society
6. Broadband democray
7. Research- and cultural mediation with new media
8. Digitalization of electronic cultural heritage
9. Other works.