- Digital literacies
- Online research and comprehension
- Learning from multiple sources
- Collaborative learning
- Pedagogical practices supporting digital literacies
- Kiili, C. (2017–2019). Exploring the dynamics of information synthesis from multiple sources. A postdoctoral project. Department of Education, University of Oslo.
- Coiro, J., Sparks, J. R., Kiili, C., & Castek, J. (2016–2018). Capturing dimensions of collaboration and deliberation with multiple-source inquiry tasks. NAEP SAIL Research funded by the U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics.
- Collaborator in the following projects:
- Leppänen, P. H. T. (2014–2017). Internet and learning difficulties: Multidisciplinary approach to understanding information seeking in new media (eSeek). Funded by the Academy of Finland.
- Vauras, M., & Quintanillia, M. (2016–2018). Enhancing learning and teaching for future competencies of online inquiry in multiple domains (iFuCO). Funded by the Academy of Finland and the Comisión Nacional de Investigación Científica y Tecnológica, Chile.
- Sormunen, E., Marttunen, M., & Toom, A. (9/2015–8/2019). Argumentative online inquiry in building students’ knowledge work competencies (ARONI). Funded by the Academy of Finland.
- Coiro, J., & Kiili, C. (2014–2016). Digital Scaffolds for Synthesizing Online Texts. Elva Knight Research Grant funded by the International Reading Association.
- Doctor of Education, University of Jyväskylä, 2012
- Masters of Education, University of Jyväskylä, 2002
- 2017– Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Education, University of Oslo
- 2013–2016: Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Education, University of Jyväskylä
- 2011–2012: Doctoral Student, Department of Education, University of Jyväskylä
- Fall 2010: Visiting researcher, University of Connecticut
- 2007–2010: Project Researcher, Department of Education, University of Jyväskylä.
Coiro, J., Kiili, C., & Castek, J. (in press). Designing pedagogies for literacy and learning through personal digital inquiry. F. Serafini & B. Gee (Eds.), Re-Imagining Multiliteracies. New York, NY: Teachers College press.
Hämäläinen, R., Kiili, C., & Smith, B. E. (2017). Orchestrating 21st century learning in higher education: A perspective on student voice. British Educational Technology, 48(3)
Kiili, C., Kauppinen, M., Coiro, J., & Utriainen, J. (2016). Measuring and supporting pre-service teachers’ self-efficacy towards computers, teaching, and technology integration. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 24(4), 443–469.
Smith, B. E., Kiili, C., & Kauppinen, M. (2016). Transmediating argumentation: Students composing across written essays and digital videos. Computers & Education, 102, 138–151.
Kiili, C., Coiro, J., & Hämäläinen, J. (2016). An online inquiry tool to support the exploration of controversial issues on the Internet. Journal of Literacy and Technology, 17(1–2), 31–52.
Leu, D. J., Kiili, C., & Forzani, E. (2016). Individual differences in the New Literacies of online research and comprehension. In P. Afflerbach (Ed.), Handbook of Individual Differences in Reading: Reader, Text, and Context (pp. 259–272). New York: Routledge
Kiili, C., Mäkinen, M., & Coiro, J. (2013). Rethinking academic literacies: Designing multifaceted academic literacy experiences for pre-service teachers. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 57(3), 223–232.
Kiili, C. (2013). Argument graph as a tool for promoting collaborative online reading. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 29(3), 248–259.
Kiili, C., Laurinen, L., Marttunen, M., & Leu, D. J. (2012). Working on understanding during collaborative online reading. Journal of Literacy Research, 44(4), 448–483.
Kiili, C., Laurinen, L., & Marttunen, M. (2009). Skillful Internet reader is metacognitively competent. In L. T. W Hin & R. Subramaniam (Eds.), Handbook of Research on New Media Literacy at the K-12 Level: Issues and Challenges (pp. 654–668). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Kiili, C., Laurinen, L., & Marttunen, M. (2008). Students evaluating Internet sources – From versatile evaluators to uncritical readers. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 39(1), 75–95.
- Coiro, Julie; Kiili, Carita Päivi Susanna & Castek, Jill (2017). Designing pedagogies for literacy and learning through personal digital inquiry, In Frank Serafini & Elisabeth Gee (ed.), Re-imagining multiliteracies: Theory and practice from New London to new times. Teachers College Press. ISBN 9780807758649. 8. s 119 - 133
- Hämäläinen, Raija; Kiili, Carita Päivi Susanna & Smith, Blaine (2017). Orchestrating 21st century learning in higher education: A perspective of student voice. British Journal of Educational Technology. ISSN 0007-1013. 48, s 1106- 1118 . doi: 10.1111/bjet.12533