Young people’s identity construction in contemporary societies; gender studies; generational studies; China’s only-child generation, including the long-term consequences of the one-child policy; the Internet in socio-cultural contexts and youth and the Internet; international comparative studies in sociology, education and youth culture; the impact of China’s higher education reform on young people’s life chances; rural education in China; gender and education; postgraduate supervision from an international and comparative perspective
- Youth in modern societiy
- Sociology of gender
- Qualitative methodology and methods
- Higher education in developing countries
- Academic writing
- Comparative and international education
- Education policies and planning
- English as second language
Higher education and employment history
- Ph.D. in Educational Studies, University of Oslo, Norway (2006).
- M.Phil. in International and Comparative Education, University of Oslo, Norway (2002).
- M.A. in English Literature, Hebei University, China (1993).
- B.A. in English, Hebei Teachers’ University, China (1990).
- Professor, Department of Education, University of Oslo (September 2012-present)
- Associate Professor, Institute of Educational Research, University of Oslo. (July 2012-September 2012)
- Senior lecturer, Institute of Educational Research, University of Oslo. (July 2010- June 2012).
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute of Educational Research, University of Oslo, Norway (2007-2009).
- Dean of English Department, Chengde Teachers’ College for the National Ethnic Minorities. China (1999-2000).
- Lecturer at the English Department, Chengde Teachers’ College for the National Ethnic Minorities, China (1988-1990; 1993-1999).
- Lecturer for the English Class, Pingquan Normal School, China (1987-1988).
- Negotiating Identity in the Internet Age: the Case of Urban Youth in China (funded by the Norwegian Research Council)
- Winner of the "George Bereday Annual Best Article Award" for the article The rise of the “priceless” child in China. Comparative Education Review. (2016)
- Liu, Fengshu (2017). An expressive turn with a Chinese twist: Other-sex relations in three generations. Sociology. ISSN 0038-0385. s 1- 16 . doi: 10.1177/0038038517702601
- Liu, Fengshu (2017). Chinese young men’s construction of exemplary masculinity: The hegemony of chenggong. Men and Masculinities. ISSN 1097-184X. s 1- 23 . doi: 10.1177/1097184X17696911
- Liu, Fengshu (2016). The rise of the “priceless” child in China. Comparative Education Review. ISSN 0010-4086.
- Liu, Fengshu (2015). Wangba and Heterotopian Experiences - Urban Chinese Young People and Their Use of Internet Cafè, In Peter Kelly & Annelies Kamp (ed.), A Critical Youth Studies for the 21st Century. Brill Academic Publishers. ISBN 978-90-04-24375-0. Chapter 16. s 284 - 298
- Liu, Fengshu (2014). From degendering to (re)gendering the self: Chinese youth negotiating modern womanhood. Gender and Education. ISSN 0954-0253. 26(1), s 18- 34 . doi: 10.1080/09540253.2013.860432
- Liu, Fengshu (2013). Kultivering av det relasjonelle selv: Konfusiansk Xiushen, I: Danningens filosofihistorie. Gyldendal Akademisk. ISBN 9788205444218. chapter 2. s 55 - 66
- Liu, Fengshu (2012). 'Politically indifferent' nationalists? Chinese youth negotiating political identity in the internet age. European Journal of Cultural Studies. ISSN 1367-5494. 15(1), s 53- 69 . doi: 10.1177/1367549411424950
- Liu, Fengshu & Ngwana, Terfot (2012). Internationalization and globalization: Implications for higher education learning and teaching, In Trevor Kerry (ed.), international perspectives on higher education: Challenging values and practice. Routledge. ISBN 978-1-4411-0203-4. chapter 5. s 106 - 126
- Fengshu, Liu (2011). The Norm of the ‘Good’ Netizen and the Construction of the Proper Wired Self: The Case of Chinese Urban Youth. New Media and Society. ISSN 1461-4448. 13(1), s 7- 22 . doi: 10.1177/1461444809360701
- Liu, Fengshu (2011). Wired for fun Narratives by members of China's E-generation. Young - Nordic Journal of Youth Research. ISSN 1103-3088. 19(1), s 69- 89 . doi: 10.1177/110330881001900105
- Fengshu, Liu (2010). The Internet in the Everyday Lifeworld: A Comparison between High School Students in China and Norway. Comparative Education. ISSN 0305-0068. 46(4), s 527- 550
- Fengshu, Liu (2009). It is not merely about life on the screen: urban Chinese youth and the Internet cafe. Journal of Youth Studies. ISSN 1367-6261. 12(2), s 167- 184 . doi: 10.1080/13676260802590386
- Fengshu, Liu (2008). Constructing the autonomous middle-class self in today's China: the case of young-adult only-children university students. Journal of Youth Studies. ISSN 1367-6261. 11(2), s 193- 212 . doi: 10.1080/13676260701800746
- Fengshu, Liu (2008). Negotiating the filial self: Young-adult only-children and intergenerational relationships in China. Young - Nordic Journal of Youth Research. ISSN 1103-3088. 16(4), s 409- 430
- Fengshu, Liu (2006). Boys as Only-Children and Girls as Only-Children—Parental Gendered Expectations of the Only-Child in the Nuclear Chinese Family in Present-day China. Gender and Education. ISSN 0954-0253. 18(5), s 491- 506
- Fengshu, Liu (2006). School Culture and Gender, In The Sage Handbook of Gender and Education. Sage Publications. ISBN 1-4129-0792-6. Kapitel 31. s 425 - 438
- Fengshu, Liu (2004). Basic Education in China’s Rural Areas: A legal Obligation or an Individual Choice?. International Journal of Educational Development. ISSN 0738-0593. 24(1), s 5- 21
- Fengshu, Liu (2011). Urban Youth in China: Modernity, the Internet and the Self. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-87486-1. 240 s.
- Skelton, Christine & Fengshu, Liu (2006). The Sage Handbook of Gender and Education. Sage Publications. ISBN 1-4129-0792-6. 512 s.
- Fengshu, Liu (2009). Postgraduate Supervision as Lived Experiences: An International and Comparative Perspective.
- Fengshu, Liu (2008). The norm of the ‘good’ netizen and the construction of the proper wired self: the case of Chinese urban youth.
- Fengshu, Liu (2008). Where else can one go? Urban Chinese youth and the Net café as a third place.
- Fengshu, Liu (2007). Identity Construction of University Students: The Case of First-Generation of Young-Adult Only-Children.
- Fengshu, Liu (2006). Modernization as Lived Experiences: Identity Construction of Young Adult Only-Children in Present-Day China.
- Fengshu, Liu (2005). Reflexive Modernization and Identity Construction: the Case of China.
- Fengshu, Liu (2004). Parental Academic Aspirations vis-à-vis Parental Gender-Specific Expectations in the Only-Child Family.