- Relationship between education and development/social change and their conceptual and theoretical underpinnings
- The role of international organisations in educational development
- International policies on and aid to education
- Policies and practice in education
- Equity and quality in education
- Coordinator of the MPhil Programme in Comparative and International Education (CIE)
- Project Leader of the “I’m Learning!” Programme in collaboration with Save the Children, Norway and research teams in Cambodia, Uganda and Zimbabwe
- Department Coordinator, Member of Steering Committee and Staff of European Joint Master Programme on Global Policies for Educational Development in collaboration with Autonomous University of Barcelona, University of Malta, University of Amsterdam and a range of associate partners
Teaching and supervision
Teaching of the following (parts of) modules in the MPhil programme on Comparative and International Education:
- Introductory course on major theoretical orientations and concepts of CIE
- International policies on education
- Quality and equity in education
Supervision of Master students for their Master of Philosophy thesis in Comparative and International Education, Department of Educational Research, University of Oslo
- Sværen-Hjulstad, Hilde Katrine. 2010. Partnership and ownership. Interaction between government and funding agencies in education policy processes in Uganda 1997-2009
- Stephensen, Matthew. 2010. The Role of Education in Emergencies: An examination of the Education Cluster activities in fulfilment of the right to education during humanitarian crises.
- Xian, Luo. 2011. Education for All in China: The Case of Migrant Children in County X.
- Yimer, Minyahel Muluneh. 2012. The Challenge of Achieving Universal Primary Education in Ethiopia. A study of out-of-school children in Southern Nation, Nationalities and People’s Region
- McGowan, Patrick Carta. 2014. Education as a Tool for Reintegrating Formerly Abducted Children of the Lord’s Resistance Army in Northern Uganda. A Comparative Case Study of Two Educational Programs
- Nasrullayeva, Nigar. 2014. Education as a Tool for Social Integration of Internally Displaced Children in Azerbaijan
- Builasheva, Saltanat. 2014. Social Constructions of Early Childhood Care and Education in the Kyrgyz Republic before and after Independence
- Sell, Stephanie Anne. 2014. Mapping the Purposes of Comparative and International Education Research. A comparative study of four leading journals
Supervision of PhD candidates for their PhD dissertation, Faculty of Educational Sciences, University of Oslo
- Matete, Rose Ephraim, 2014. Decentralisation in Tanzanian Education and Teacher Accountability. The Case of Primary School Management in Konondoni Municipality and Mbeya City
- Representative of the Faculty of Education in the North-South Committee of the University of Oslo
- Deputy Representative of the Faculty of Education in the University of Oslo Summer School
- Member of examination commissions for approval of Master of Philosphy thesis in Comparative and International Education, Department of Education, University of Oslo
- Representative of the Dean for the public defence of PhD dissertations submitted to the Faculty of Education, University of Oslo
- Member of the organizing committee for international conferences in conjunction with the launch of the annual Education for All Global Monitoring Report in Oslo (2013, 2014, 2015)
- Member of the Education Expert Committee of the UNESCO National Commission of Norway
- Reviewer for international journals, in particular the International Journal of Educational Development, Compare, Comparative Education
- PhD in History of Education in Developing Countries, Department of Comparative and International Education, University of London, England
- MA in History, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- BA in Foreign Languages and Business Administration, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen, Denmark
Employment history since 1990
- 2009 – ongoing: Professor of Comparative and International Education, Department of Education, University of Oslo
- 1997-2009: UNESCO Headquarters, Paris, France. Amongst the functions were: Chief of Section for Quality and Inclusion, Division of Basic Education; Chief of Section for Primary Education, Division of Basic Education; Chargé de Mission related to work on Education for All for Assistant Director General for Education and Deputy Assistant Director General for Education; Team Member of the Education for All Global Monitoring Team; Leader of the ADEA Working Group on Education for All.
- 2001: Institute of International Education, Stockholm University, Sweden. Holder of the Kjerstin Hesselgren Chair appointed by the Swedish Research Council for the Social Sciences
- 1993-97: COWI Consulting Engineers and Planners, Lyngby, Denmark. International Consultant in the Department of Human Resources Development with assignments on education and training in various countries in Africa, Asia and Europe
- 1991-93: Centre for Development Research, Copenhagen, Denmark. Research fellow in the area Industrialization for Development leading to a number of publications on education and training
Buchert, Lene. 2014. Learning needs and life skills for youth: An introduction. In: Special Issue: Learning Needs and Life Skills for Youth. Guest Editor: Lene Buchert, International Review of Education, Vol. 60, No. 2, pp. 163-176
Buchert, Lene. 2013. Introduction – Understanding education, fragility and conflict. In: Education, Fragility and Conflict. Guest Editor: Lene Buchert, Prospects Vol. XLIII, no. 1, March, pp. 5-15
Team Member and contributing author to the EFA Global Monitoring Report, 2006 (Literacy for Life), 2005 (The Quality Imperative, 2003/04 (The Leap to Equality), 2002 (Is the world on track?), UNESCO.
2002. Towards new partnerships in sector-wide approaches: Comparative experiences from Burkina Faso, Ghana and Mozambique. International Journal of Educational Development Vol. 22, pp. 69-84.
2002. Education for All. An attainable dream? Prospects Vol. 32, No. 121, pp. 5-17.
1999. Co-ordination of Aid to Education at the Country Level: Some Experiences and Lessons from Tanzania in the 1990s. In Changing International Aid to Education: global patterns and national contexts. (Co-edited with K. King) Paris: UNESCO Publishing/NORRAG, pp. 222-38.
1998. Education Reform in the South in the 1990s. (Editor) Paris: UNESCO Publishing, 415 pp.
1998. Education Sector Analysis in Africa: An Evolving Case in Mutual North-South Learning. Prospects, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 353-63.
1997. Education policy formulation in Tanzania: coordination between the Government and International Aid Agencies. Paris: UNESCO/IIEP, 99 pp.
1995. Introduction in Learning from Experience: Policy and Practice in Aid to Higher Education. (Co-edited with K. King) The Hague: CESO/NORRAG (261 pp), pp. 9-16.
1995. Recent Trends in Education Aid: Towards a Classification of Policies. Paris: UNESCO/IIEP, 62 pp.
1994. Education in the Development of Tanzania 1919-90. London: James Currey Publishers, 192 pp.
- Buchert, Lene (2014). Learning needs and life skills for youth: An introduction. International Review of Education. ISSN 0020-8566. 60(2), s 163- 176 . doi: 10.1007/s11159-014-9431-3
- Buchert, Lene (2014). Special Issue: Learning Needs and Life Skills for Youth Guest Editor: Lene Buchert. International Review of Education. ISSN 0020-8566. 60(2), s 163- 305
- Buchert, Lene (2013). Education, Fragility and Conflict Guest Editor: Lene Buchert. Prospect : Quarterly Review of Comparative Education. ISSN 0033-1538. 165(1), s 5- 105
- Buchert, Lene (2012). Introduction - Understanding Education, Fragility and Conflict. Prospect : Quarterly Review of Comparative Education. ISSN 0033-1538. . doi: 10.1007/s11125-012-9251-9
- Buchert, Lene & Varghese, N.V. (ed.) (2011). Financing education: Redesigning national strategies and the gloal aid architecture.