Monika Bærøe Nerland
Monika Nerlands research interests relate to knowledge cultures and learning in professional education and work as well as in the field of higher education. A particular interest is the ways in which organization of knowledge in expert communities constitute practices of learning and identity formation.
- Co-leader (with Peter Maassen) for the project Horizontal Governance and Learning Dynamics in Higher Education (2012-2016), funded by the Research Council of Norway. The project investigates change dynamics in higher education in the intersection between policies and and epistemic cultures. Among its activities are analyses of students' learning and enrolment in knowledge cultures in selected profession-oriented programs. More information.
- Quality of Norwegian Higher Education: Pathways, Practices and Performances (2014-2018). The project is funded by the Norwegian Research Council through the FINNUT program for Research and Innovation in the Educational Sector. More information
- Learning Trajectories in Knowledge Economies (LiKE, 2008-2011), project leader from 2009. The project was funded by the Research Council of Norway and conducted comparative studies of learning and knowledge practices in different professional fields. Special attention was given to the role of artefacts in linking practices of workplace learning with wider knowledge frontiers.
- Professional Learning in a Changing Society (ProLEARN, 2004-2008), post doc. / project member. This project was a comparative study of learning in the transition from education to work among nurses, teachers, accountants and computer engineers, financed by the Research Council of Norway. Project leader: Prof. Karen Jensen.
- One-to-one teaching as cultural practice: a study of teaching practices in an Academy of Music. PhD project, 1998-2002, University of Oslo and Norwegian Academy of Music.
- Master programme in Higher Education: HEM4100 and HEM4210
- Supervision of PhD and master students in the areas of higher education, professional- and workplace learning
- Track leader, NATED Graduate School in Educational Sciences, track 4: Higher education and Professional learning
Higher education and employment history
- Dr.polit (PhD), University of Oslo, Faculty of Education (2003)
- Cand. Musicae (M.A.), Norwegian Academy of Music (1994)
- Professor, Department of Education, UiO (2010 - )
- Associate Professor, Department of Educational Research, UiO (2008 - 2010)
- Postdoc., Department of Educational Research, UiO (2004 - 2008)
- Lecturer, Teacher education programs in Oslo and Vestfold (2002 - 2004)
- Research fellow (Ph.D), Norwegian Academy of Music and University of Oslo (1998-2002)
- Visiting Professor, Charles Sturt University, The Education for Practice Institute (April 2013)
- Visiting Scholar, University of California Berkeley, Center for Studies in Higher Education (January-July 2012)
- Visiting Fellow, University of London, Institute of Education (October-December 2006)
- Visiting Fellow, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Dep. of Curriculum and Instruction (September-November 2000)
- Adjunct professor with Charles Sturt University, The Education for Practice Institute (2013-2015)
- Associate Editor for the journal Professions and Professionalism
- Coordinator for the Ph.D programme, Department of Education (01.2013 - 07.2016)
- Member of the Norwegian Research Council's Expert committee for the Social Sciences (2010-2012)
- Board member, Department of Educational Research (2009-2012)
- The PhD thesis was awarded with H.M King of Norway's Gold Medal for outstanding young researchers
- The Faculty of Educational Sciences' teaching award, 2014