- Digital literacy
- Technology and education
- Formal and informal ways of learning
- Knowledge building with digital tools
- Digital learning resources
- Media education in schools
- Sociocultural learning theory
- Project leader of project; ‘Local literacies and community spaces. Investigating transitions and transfers in the ‘learning lives’ of Groruddalen. Funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
- Part of project ‘Elevforsk’, project leader Erik Knain. Sub-project in two upper secondary schools. Title: ‘Knowledge building with digital tools’, using a digital platform called Knowledge Forum.
- Project called ‘Space2cre8’ (longer title: ‘Youth-Designed Social Networking: Investigating Emergent Literacies, Identities, and Relationships at the Intersection of Online and Offline Experience’) in co-operation with Berkeley University. Working with one Upper Secondary School in Norway, and schools in USA, South-Africa and India.
- Leader of the research group TransAction at the Faculty of Education
- Part of the international initiative on ‘Assessment and Teaching of 21st Century Skills’
2005-2009 Head of Steering committee for the national development project ‘Networks for Learning’ (‘Lærende nettverk’), involving almost 600 schools and teacher training colleges during this time period.
2000-2003 National Research Coordinator for Norway on the international study ’Second Information Technology in Education Study – Module 2’ (SITES M2), organized by Stanford Research International (USA), Twente University (the Netherlands) and University of Toronto (Canada)
1999-2003 Head of research for the National PILOT project, (120 schools in 9 regions of Norway, involving 16 researchers from different University Colleges in Norway doing action research in a sample of schools)
Part of project ‘Mediatized stories’, project leader Knut Lundby. Sub-project in lower secondary on ‘Digital storytelling’.
Areas of teaching expertise: learning, technology and education, children and youth in modern society (moderne oppvekst)
Main administrative tasks
2007 - 2009 Head of Research, Institute for Educational Research
2006 – 2008 Coordinator of the doctoral program, Institute for Educational Research
Higher education and employment history
1997: Dr.polit., the Department of Media and Communication, University of Oslo
1988: Master degree in educational psychology, University of Oslo
2008: Professor, University of Oslo, Institute for Educational Research
2005 – 2008 Associate Professor, University of Oslo, Institute for Educational Research
1998 - 2005 Associate Professor and Head of Research, the National Network for IT Research and Competence in Education (ITU), University of Oslo (www.itu.no)
1997-1998 Researcher, Telenor FoU, unit working on ‘Users of the Future’.
1993-1994 Associate Expert for UNESCO, at the Headquarters in Paris, funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
1989 – 1996 Research Fellow, University of Oslo, the Department of Media and Communication
- Board member of several international journals