I am interested in researching and designing informal learning spaces, interactions, and technologies. I am particularly interested in understanding the relationships between spatial-technological features, social interaction, and learning in museum settings.
2010-: PhD student, InterMedia, University of Oslo
2009: Research assistant, InterMedia, University of Oslo
2008-2009: Fulbright scholar, InterMedia, University of Oslo
2007: Master of Arts in Education: Learning, Design & Technology. Stanford University
2006: Bachelor of Science in Engineering: Product Design. Stanford University
- Fulbright Grant Award Winner 2008-09
- Lois Roth Award 2008
- Pierroux, Palmyre & Steier, Rolf (2016). Making it Real: Transforming a University and Museum Research Collaboration into a Design Product, In Vanessa Svihla & Richard Reeve (ed.), Design as Scholarship. Case Studies from the Learning Sciences. Routledge. ISBN 9781138891654. 9. s 115 - 129
- Jornet, Alfredo & Steier, Rolf (2015). The matter of space: Bodily performances and the emergence of boundary objects during multidisciplinary design meetings. Mind, culture and activity. ISSN 1074-9039. 22(2), s 129- 151 . doi: 10.1080/10749039.2015.1024794
- Steier, Rolf; Pierroux, Palmyre & Krange, Ingeborg (2015). Embodied Interpretation: Gesture, Social Interaction and Meaning Making in a National Art Museum. Learning, Culture and Social Interaction. ISSN 2210-6561. 7, s 28- 42 . doi: 10.1016/j.lcsi.2015.05.002
- Steier, Rolf (2014). Posing the Question: Visitor Posing as Embodied Interpretation in an Art Museum. Mind, culture and activity. ISSN 1074-9039. 21(2), s 148- 170 . doi: 10.1080/10749039.2013.878361
- Steier, Rolf & Pierroux, Palmyre (2011). "What is 'the concept'?" Sites of conceptual formation in a touring architecture workshop. Digital kompetanse - Nordic journal of digital literacy. ISSN 0809-6724. (3), s 139- 156
- Kersting, Magdalena & Steier, Rolf (2017). GRAVITY, IMAGINATION AND EMBODIED CONCEPTIONS OF SPACETIME.
- Pierroux, Palmyre; Steier, Rolf & Sauge, Birgitte (2016). Digital curation and expert practices in museums: A case study of archiving and exhibiting architectural design.
- Steier, Rolf (2016). Conceptual Understanding and Embodied Learning in General Relativity.
- Steier, Rolf (2016). Designing learning spaces: moving between schools and museums.
- Steier, Rolf (2016). Imagining Space and Time: distributed imagination in upper secondary physics classrooms.
- Steier, Rolf (2016). Making Do-ing: On the Emergence of Representation and Meaning in Collaborative Design Work.
- Pierroux, Palmyre; Qvale, Anne; Steier, Rolf & Sauge, Birgitte (2014). Posing with Art: Researching and Designing for Performative Acts of Interpretation.
- Pierroux, Palmyre & Steier, Rolf (2014). Embodied Interpretation: Gesture, Social Interaction and Meaning Making.
- Steier, Rolf (2014). Designing Interactives in Art Museums: Situating Learning Technologies and Interactions in Gallery Space.
- Steier, Rolf (2014). Embodied Meaning Making and the Museum: Bodies, Artifacts, and Spaces in Sociocultural Approaches to Museum Learning and Design.
- Steier, Rolf (2013). Places of Engagement.
- Steier, Rolf & Pierroux, Palmyre (2013). Social Media and Interaction Design in Art Museums.
- Steier, Rolf (2012). Exploring digital methods for understanding visitor interactions in an art museum.
- Steier, Rolf (2012). Interactive Tabletops and Meaning Making in Art and Architecture.
- Steier, Rolf (2012). Learning Landscapes: Physical Space and Digital Technology in Museum Collaboration and Learning.
- Steier, Rolf (2011). Snøkult: Teaching Concepts in Architecture in a Touring Museum Workshop.
- Steier, Rolf (2010). Designing Learning Trajectories with Interactive Tabletops.
- Steier, Rolf (2009). Considering Physical Space in Museum-Based Mobile Learning.
- Steier, Rolf (2009). Projecting Knowledge: Mobile Projectors, Space, and Collaborative Learning in Museums.