My research focuses on collaborative learning processes in a variety of contexts and disciplines including museums, classrooms, and professional design settings, with specialized interest in the relationship face-to-face collaboration and mediating technologies. I am currently researching processes of embodied meaning making and imagination across multiple disciplinary settings and large-scale research projects. I am participating in the ReleQuant research project in the Department of Physics to design and research digital tools for learning modern physics. I am also participating in the Mediascapes research project in the Department of Education to study digital practices of architects and the implications for curation and participation and the National Museum of Architecture.
2015- Postdoctoral fellow, Department of Education, University of Oslo
2010-2014: PhD candidate, InterMedia, University of Oslo
2013: Visiting Fellow - Educational Communication and Technology, New York University, DOLCE lab under Professor Chris Hoadley
2008-2009: Fulbright scholar, Norway
2007: Master of Arts in Education: Learning, Design & Technology. Stanford University
2006: Bachelor of Science in Engineering: Product Design. Stanford University
UV9120 - (PhD Course) Design-based Research and Case Studies
PED4550 – Design-Based Research, Virtual Ethnography, and Interaction Analysis
PED4510 - Learning, Creativity and Innovation
- Fulbright Grant Award Winner 2008-09
- Lois Roth Award 2008
- Pierroux, Palmyre & Steier, Rolf (2016). Making it Real: Transforming a University and Museum Research Collaboration into a Design Product, In Vanessa Svihla & Richard Reeve (ed.), Design as Scholarship. Case Studies from the Learning Sciences. Routledge. ISBN 9781138891654. 9. s 115 - 129
- Jornet, Alfredo & Steier, Rolf (2015). The matter of space: Bodily performances and the emergence of boundary objects during multidisciplinary design meetings. Mind, Culture, and Activity. ISSN 1074-9039. 22(2), s 129- 151 . doi: 10.1080/10749039.2015.1024794
- Steier, Rolf; Pierroux, Palmyre & Krange, Ingeborg (2015). Embodied Interpretation: Gesture, Social Interaction and Meaning Making in a National Art Museum. Learning, Culture and Social Interaction. ISSN 2210-6561. 7, s 28- 42 . doi: 10.1016/j.lcsi.2015.05.002
- Steier, Rolf (2014). Posing the Question: Visitor Posing as Embodied Interpretation in an Art Museum. Mind, Culture, and Activity. ISSN 1074-9039. 21(2), s 148- 170 . doi: 10.1080/10749039.2013.878361
- Steier, Rolf & Pierroux, Palmyre (2011). "What is 'the concept'?" Sites of conceptual formation in a touring architecture workshop. Digital kompetanse. ISSN 0809-6724. (3), s 139- 156
- Sauge, Birgitte; Pierroux, Palmyre & Steier, Rolf (2018). Skogen i huset. Utforskning av parallelle virkeligheter.
- Sauge, Birgitte & Steier, Rolf (2018). Real Visitors and Virtual Reality in Architecture Exhibitions.
- Kersting, Magdalena & Steier, Rolf (2017). GRAVITY, IMAGINATION AND EMBODIED CONCEPTIONS OF SPACETIME.
- Pierroux, Palmyre; Steier, Rolf & Sauge, Birgitte (2016). Digital curation and expert practices in museums: A case study of archiving and exhibiting architectural design.
- Steier, Rolf (2016). Conceptual Understanding and Embodied Learning in General Relativity.
- Steier, Rolf (2016). Designing learning spaces: moving between schools and museums.
- Steier, Rolf (2016). Imagining Space and Time: distributed imagination in upper secondary physics classrooms.
- Steier, Rolf (2016). Making Do-ing: On the Emergence of Representation and Meaning in Collaborative Design Work.
- Pierroux, Palmyre; Qvale, Anne; Steier, Rolf & Sauge, Birgitte (2014). Posing with Art: Researching and Designing for Performative Acts of Interpretation.
- Pierroux, Palmyre & Steier, Rolf (2014). Embodied Interpretation: Gesture, Social Interaction and Meaning Making.
- Steier, Rolf (2014). Designing Interactives in Art Museums: Situating Learning Technologies and Interactions in Gallery Space.
- Steier, Rolf (2014). Embodied Meaning Making and the Museum: Bodies, Artifacts, and Spaces in Sociocultural Approaches to Museum Learning and Design.
- Steier, Rolf (2013). Places of Engagement.
- Steier, Rolf & Pierroux, Palmyre (2013). Social Media and Interaction Design in Art Museums.
- Steier, Rolf (2012). Exploring digital methods for understanding visitor interactions in an art museum.
- Steier, Rolf (2012). Interactive Tabletops and Meaning Making in Art and Architecture.
- Steier, Rolf (2012). Learning Landscapes: Physical Space and Digital Technology in Museum Collaboration and Learning.
- Steier, Rolf (2011). Snøkult: Teaching Concepts in Architecture in a Touring Museum Workshop.
- Steier, Rolf (2010). Designing Learning Trajectories with Interactive Tabletops.
- Steier, Rolf (2009). Considering Physical Space in Museum-Based Mobile Learning.
- Steier, Rolf (2009). Projecting Knowledge: Mobile Projectors, Space, and Collaborative Learning in Museums.