Isa Steinmann is a postdoctoral researcher at the Centre for Educational Measurement at the University of Oslo (CEMO) in Norway and at the Center for Research on Education and School Development (IFS) at TU Dortmund University in Germany. In her research, she mostly uses international large-scale assessment data for secondary analysis to determine how education systems and schools affect student achievement and educational inequalities. In this field, she enjoys applying methods that aim for causal inference from observational data. Another strand of her research investigates how properties of the international large-scale assessments affect their results and interact with the respondents.
Her full CV is available here.
- MAE4051 - Selected Topics in Educational Measurement: Analysis of Large-Scale Assessment Data
Isa Steinmann holds a B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Psychology from the University of Münster and a PhD in Education from TU Dortmund University in Germany. She has worked as researcher at TU Dortmund University and the University of Oslo, and has served as International Quality Observer for the International Civics and Citizenship Study (ICCS) on behalf of the International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA). She is co-coordinating the European Training Network OCCAM (http://www.etn-occam.eu).
Central Scholarships, Grants, and Awards
- 2019 Rudolf Chaudoire-Preis (Award at the TU Dortmund University)
- Since 10/2019 PostDoc Fellowship at the College for Interdisciplinary Educational Research (CIDER)
- 08/2019 – 03/2020 Gustafsson & Skrondal Visiting Scholarship (CEMO, University of Oslo)
- 2018 – 2022 Assistance: European Training Network OCCAM (www.etn-occam.eu) in the Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks
- 04/2016 – 02/2019 Doctoral scholarship (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes, German Academic Scholarship Foundation)
Steinmann, I., Braeken, J., & Strietholt, R. (2021, April). Identifying Inconsistent Respondents to Mixed-Worded Scales in Large-Scale Assessments. Presentation at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting, digital conference. Available from https://aera21-aera.ipostersessions.com/default.aspx?s=1F-25-A5-4F-5C-60-8E-26-D6-4A-AB-BD-A5-B4-9C-76&guestview=true
Steinmann, I. (2019, September). Achievement Effects of Extracurricular Homework Support and Remedial Education for Non-Native Speakers in Germany. Presentation at the WERA-IRN Extended Education Conference, Stockholm, Sweden
Steinmann, I., Strietholt, R., & Rosén, M. (2019, April). International Reading Gaps between Boys and Girls from 1970-2011. Presentation at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada
- Steinmann, Isa; Strietholt, Rolf & Braeken, Johan (2021). A Constrained Factor Mixture Analysis Model for Consistent and Inconsistent Respondents to Mixed-Worded Scales. Psychological methods. ISSN 1082-989X. . doi: 10.1037/met0000392 Full text in Research Archive.
- Strello, Andrés; Strietholt, Rolf; Steinmann, Isa & Siepmann, Charlotte (2021). Early Tracking and Different Types of Inequalities in Achievement: Difference-in-Differences Evidence from 20 Years of Large-scale Assessments. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability. ISSN 1874-8597. . doi: 10.1007/s11092-020-09346-4 Full text in Research Archive.
- Gladushyna, Olesya; Strietholt, Rolf & Steinmann, Isa (2020). Disentangling general achievement levels and subject-specific strengths and weaknesses in mathematics, reading, and science. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability. ISSN 1874-8597. . doi: 10.1007/s11092-020-09352-6 Full text in Research Archive.