Isa Steinmann is a postdoctoral researcher at the Centre for Educational Measurement at the University of Oslo (CEMO) in Norway and at the Center for Research on Education and School Development (IFS) at TU Dortmund University in Germany. In her research, she mostly uses international large-scale assessment data for secondary analysis to determine how education systems and schools affect student achievement and educational inequalities. In this field, she enjoys applying methods that aim for causal inference from observational data. Another strand of her research investigates how properties of the international large-scale assessments affect their results and interact with the respondents.
- MAE4051 - Selected Topics in Educational Measurement: Analysis of Large-Scale Assessment Data
Isa Steinmann holds a B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Psychology from the University of Münster in Germany and a PhD in Education from TU Dortmund University in Germany. She has worked as researcher at TU Dortmund University and the University of Oslo, and has served as International Quality Observer for the International Civics and Citizenship Study (ICCS) on behalf of the International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA). She is co-coordinating the European Training Network OCCAM (http://www.etn-occam.eu).
Central Scholarships, Grants, and Awards
- 2019 Rudolf Chaudoire-Preis (Award at the TU Dortmund University)
- Since 10/2019 PostDoc Fellowship at the College for Interdisciplinary Educational Research (CIDER)
- 08/2019 – 03/2020 Gustafsson & Skrondal Visiting Scholarship (CEMO, University of Oslo)
- 2018 – 2022 Assistance: European Training Network OCCAM (www.etn-occam.eu) in the Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks
- 04/2016 – 02/2019 Doctoral scholarship (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes, German Academic Scholarship Foundation)
- 01/2016 – 06/2016 Science transfer grant (Reinhard Mohn Stiftung)
- Steinmann, I., Strietholt, R., & Braeken, J. (forthcoming). A Constrained Factor Mixture Analysis Model for Consistent and Inconsistent Respondents to Mixed-Worded Scales. Psychological Methods
- Strello, A., Strietholt, R., Steinmann, I., & Siepmann, C. (2021). Early Tracking and Different Types of Inequalities in Achievement: Difference-in-Differences Evidence from 20 Years of Large-scale Assessments. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11092-020-09346-4
- Gladushyna, O., Strietholt, R. & Steinmann, I. (2020). Disentangling general achievement levels and subject-specific strengths and weaknesses in mathematics, reading, and science. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11092-020-09352-6
Steinmann, I., Strietholt, R. & Caro, D. (2019). Participation in Extracurricular Activities and Student Achievement: Evidence from German All-Day Schools. School Effectiveness and School Improvement, 30(2), 155–176. https://doi.org/10.1080/09243453.2018.1540435
Strietholt, R., Gustafsson, J.-E., Hogrebe, N., Rolfe, V., Rosén, M., Steinmann, I., & Yang Hansen, K. (2019). The Impact of Education Policies on Socioeconomic Inequality in Student Achievement: A Review of Comparative Studies. In L. Volante, S. V. Schnepf, J. Jerrim, & D. A. Klinger (eds.): Socioeconomic Inequality and Student Outcomes: National Trends, Policies, and Practices (pp. 17–38). New York, NY: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-9863-6
Steinmann, I. & Strietholt, R. (2019). Effekte nachmittäglicher Bildungsangebote auf sprachliche Kompetenzentwicklungen. Zeitschrift für Pädagogik, 65(2), 285–306.
Steinmann, I. & Strietholt, R. (2018). Student Achievement and Educational Inequality in Half- and All-Day Schools: Evidence from Germany. International Journal for Research on Extended Education, 6(2), 175–198. https://doi.org/10.3224/ijree.v6i2.08
Steinmann, I. (2018). Ganztagsschulen als neue Organisationsformen – Entwicklungen und Evaluation. Enzyklopädie Erziehungswissenschaft Online, 1–21. https://doi.org/10.3262/EEO08180405
Steinmann, I., Braeken, J., & Strietholt, R. (2021, April). Identifying Inconsistent Respondents to Mixed-Worded Scales in Large-Scale Assessments. Presentation at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting, digital conference. Available from https://aera21-aera.ipostersessions.com/default.aspx?s=1F-25-A5-4F-5C-60-8E-26-D6-4A-AB-BD-A5-B4-9C-76&guestview=true
Steinmann, I. (2019, September). Achievement Effects of Extracurricular Homework Support and Remedial Education for Non-Native Speakers in Germany. Presentation at the WERA-IRN Extended Education Conference, Stockholm, Sweden
Steinmann, I., Strietholt, R., & Rosén, M. (2019, April). International Reading Gaps between Boys and Girls from 1970-2011. Presentation at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada
Steinmann, I. & Strietholt, R. (2018, April). Does Participating in All-Day Programs Enhance Student Achievement in Germany? Roundtable discussion at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting, New York City, United States of America
Steinmann, I. & Strietholt, R. (2018, February). Ganztags- versus Halbtagsschule: Effekte auf Leistungsniveau und Bildungsungleichheit. Presentation at the Tagung Gesellschaft für Empirische Bildungsforschung (GEBF), Basel, Switzerland
Steinmann, I. & Strietholt, R. (2017, August). All-Day Schooling and Student Achievement: What Works in Germany? Presentation at the European Conference on Educational Research (ECER), Copenhagen, Denmark
Strietholt, R., Steinmann, I., & Rosén, M. (2017, June). International Gender Gap Trends in Reading over 40 Years – Results from Linking IEA Studies. Presentation at the 7th IEA International Research Conference (IRC), Prague, Czech Republic
Full CV is available here
- Strello, Andrés; Strietholt, Rolf; Steinmann, Isa & Siepmann, Charlotte (2021). Early Tracking and Different Types of Inequalities in Achievement: Difference-in-Differences Evidence from 20 Years of Large-scale Assessments. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability. ISSN 1874-8597. . doi: 10.1007/s11092-020-09346-4 Full text in Research Archive.
- Gladushyna, Olesya; Strietholt, Rolf & Steinmann, Isa (2020). Disentangling general achievement levels and subject-specific strengths and weaknesses in mathematics, reading, and science. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability. ISSN 1874-8597. . doi: 10.1007/s11092-020-09352-6 Full text in Research Archive.