I am currently a Professor of Educational Measurement in the Centre for Educational Measurement at University of Oslo. I joined UiO in September of 2015, where I enjoy conducting basic and applied research in international large-scale assessment. Prior to my appointment in Oslo, I was an Assistant Professor of Inquiry Methodology at Indiana University - Bloomington, where I taught courses in advanced quantitative methods. Prior to that, I was a research associate for the International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievment (IEA) - the folks that bring you TIMSS & PIRLS.
My experience with the IEA and my doctoral work at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign has inspired my work in the field of international large-scale assessment (LSA). In particular, I am interested in critically analyzing the methods used to gather data and to produce achievement scores. I am also interested in methods and models for accommodating heterogeneous populations in latent variable models. I have a number of peer-reviewed and forthcoming papers in these areas. I regularly consult for international organizations including the IEA and the OECD and provide workshops on quantitative methods around the world.
I have published an edited volume: Rutkowski, L. von Davier, M. & Rutkowski, D. (2014). Handbook of International Large-Scale Assessment. Boca Raton, FL: Chapman & Hall/CRC Press.
- Embracing heterogeneity in international surveys: Optimal test design and parameter estimation (funded by the Norwewgian Research Council, 2016 - 2020)
- Covariance structure analysis
- Multilevel modeling
- Categorical data analysis
- Longitudinal data analysis
- Multivariate statistics
- Ph.D., Educational Psychology, 2007, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.S., Statistics, 2005, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.A., Economics, 2003, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
- 2015 - Present Professor of Educational Measurement, University of Oslo, Norway
- 2010 - 2015 Assistant Professor of Inquiry Methodology, Counseling and Educational Psychology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, USA
- 2007 - 2009 Research Associate, Research and Analysis Unit, IEA-DPC, Hamburg, Germany
- 2006 - 2007 Statistical Research Consultant, Women's Health Sciences Division, National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Boston, MA
- 2003 - 2007 Graduate Instructor, Educational Psychology, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL, USA