Photo: Shane Colvin
The conference theme focuses on changes in professional learning and development from two distinct, but interdependent, angles: First, the theme reflects a focus on transformations in the ways knowledge develops and is shared in professional communities, and established forms of knowing and learning are challenged. This includes questions about the role of new technologies and representations of knowledge, such as visualization technologies, standards and repositories. It also includes questions about how science-generated knowledge enters professional contexts and become resources for learning and professional development. Second, the theme reflects an interest in how knowledge becomes transformed through practitioners’ practice and learning. This invites a focus on systems and practices that expand current ways of knowing, as well as a focus on how the different ways individuals understand and approach knowledge are key elements of learning and professional development.
The invited keynote speakers will relate to this theme in different ways. We encourage other participants to do the same and to highlight how their work contributes to the general theme. In addition, we welcome contributions that relate to the core themes of EARLI SIG 14:
- Work and education as contexts for professional learning and development
- Theories and methodologies for the study of professional learning and development
- Constraints and affordances of professional learning and work identities
- Vocational education and training in schooling and working life contexts
- Adult learning processes within the context of work
We also plan a pre-conference for PhD students and early career researchers on 25-26 August.