The faculty wants all staff in scientific positions (permanent and temporary) to have a laptop computer. The financial framework for a docked laptop is currently set at NOK 12,000. Additional display, keyboard and mouse are funded by the institute. If other equipment is needed, this must be agreed with the nearest manager.
Employees in administrative positions consult their manager what type of machine is necessary for the duties in the position.
Guidelines for our computers
The faculty has developed some common guidelines for our computers:
- Use the version of Microsoft Windows that is supported at UiO at all times:
- Use hard disk encryption with BitLocker:
- Initially, not set up with administrator access for the end user. However, where this is necessary, such access shall be granted only temporarily. Any exceptions are decided by the head of the IT section.
- Set up so that employees can install software facilitated by UiO through SoftwareCenter:
- Use software officially supported at UiO where available. If other software is needed, the IT section may not be able to provide support beyond installation assistance.
Guidelines for Laptop Users
Laptops have some additional requirements for users:
- The computer is kept up to date by the end user. This means that the machine must be connected to the Internet every two months to download updates to Windows and other software on the machine:
- Be subject to any institutional limitations as to whether you can use your laptop against research areas and other secure services.
- Backup. The IT service at the faculty may be helpful with tips, advice and any backup software, but the individual is nevertheless responsible for ensuring that such backup is actually carried out.
- Protected well to prevent loss / theft and damage. Laptops are not necessarily guaranteed repair (despite signing a separate service agreement upon purchase) if the damage is self-inflicted.