Alfredo Jornet Gil
My research focuses on cultural, technological, and affective aspects of learning across formal and informal settings, with an emphasis on creativity and pedagogical innovation. Mostly using design-based and participatory ethnography methods, I have conducted research in such diverse contexts as arts-based education, science learning in and outside classrooms, or professional design, with the overall goal of better understanding how people with different backgrounds and interests learn and develop when they work together to imagine and achieve new shared goals. More recently, I work promoting and investigating open-schooling pedagogical innovations as a means to address the needs of school and societal transformation in the current context of environmental crisis and threat to democracy.
Higher education and academic employment history
- 2018-present. Associate Professor of Pedagogy at the Department of Teacher Education and School Research, University of Oslo.
- 2015-2017. Visiting researcher at the University of Victoria, British Columbia (Canada).
- 2015-2018. Postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Education, University of Oslo (Norway).
- 2012. Visiting PhD student at Griffith University (Australia)
- 2011-2014. Research fellow (PhD candidate) at InterMedia, University of Oslo (Norway)
- 2009-2010. Research assistant at the Department of Psychology, University of Tromsø (Norway)
- 2009. Research assistant at the Department of Basic Psychology, University of Valencia (Spain)
- 2003-2009. Litentiate in Psychology by the University of Valencia (Spain)
Grants and awards
- 2019 Nomination to best 2018 paper, Design Studies journal
- 2018 Nomination to best paper at the EARLI SIG 10 & 21 Conference.
- 2015 - 2018 Fripro Mobility Grant, co-funded by the National Research Council of Norway and the Marie Curie Actions COFUND.
- 2012 6-months overseas research grant to visit Griffith University (Australia) by the National Research Council of Norway.
- 2011 Springer best paper award at the ReLIVE conference, Open University (Milton Keynes, UK).
Currently, I teach and supervise at multiple courses within the teacher education program https://www.uv.uio.no/ils/english/studies/programmes/teacher-education-programme/ as well as the master degree programs https://www.uv.uio.no/ils/english/studies/programmes/master/.
I also teach qualitative research methods at the faculty's PhD program.
I have co-edited several special issues and books, and I am co-editor of the international journal Mind, Culture, and Activity.