PHD PROJECT: Professionalism and the Democratic Mandate in Education
The main purpose with my overall project is to examine how the new education reform Fagfornyelsen 2020, with a particular focus on professionalism and the interdisciplinary theme democracy and citizenship, is constructed in both policy and practice. I investigate how (1) professionalism with a democratic mandate is constructed and legitimized in key public policy documents, including what tensions in constructing the democratic mandate may be identified over time and (2) how school leaders and teachers' use professional discretion in translating the democratic mandate. The following research questions guide the project: (1) How is professionalism with a democratic mandate constructed, and legitimized in key education policy documents? (2) how do educational professionals, i.e. school leaders and teachers, interpret and respond to the democratic mandate under increasing accountability demands?
These questions will be answered through the following methods:
- Analyze key education policy documents through a discourse analysis (RQ1)
- Interview school leaders and teachers in four schools in two districts (RQ2)
- Perform a survey administered to school leaders and teachers in two distinct geographical areas on how they interpret and respond to policy expectations regarding education for democracy (RQ2)
- Education Act, and the new general part of the curriculum
- Accountability in the school system
- School leaders’ legitimation of values constituted in the Education Act
- Globalization and citizenship education
- Leading and management of conflict resolution education programs and peace education in schools and institutions
- Assessment work for Save the Children Norway
- Teaching and environmental work in schools
- Therapist for youth and adults in the psychiatric sector
- Former government employee
- 2017 -d.d. PhD student ved Universitetet i Oslo
- 2013-2015 `Master of Philosophy in Comparative and International Education`, Pedagogisk Forskningsinstitutt, Universitetet i Oslo. Tema: Globalisering og medborgerskap, tilknyttet forskergruppen Curriculum Studies, Leadership and Educational Governance (CLEG).
- 2008 - 2012 Bachelor i Psykologi ved Psykologisk Institutt, Universitetet i Oslo
- Trujillo, Tina; Møller, Jorunn; Jensen, Ruth; Kissel, René Espinoza & Larsen, Eivind (2021). Images of Educational Leadership: How Principals Make Sense of Democracy and Social Justice in Two Distinct Policy Contexts. Educational Administration Quarterly. ISSN 0013-161X. . doi: 10.1177/0013161X20981148
- Larsen, Eivind; Møller, Jorunn & Jensen, Ruth (2020). Constructions of professionalism and the democratic mandate in education A discourse analysis of Norwegian public policy documents. Journal of Education Policy. ISSN 0268-0939. . doi: 10.1080/02680939.2020.1774807 Full text in Research Archive.
- Trujillo, Tina; Møller, Jorunn; Jensen, Ruth; Kissel, Rene & Larsen, Eivind (2018). Images of Educational Leadership: How Principals Make Sense of Democracy and Social Justice in Two Distinct Policy Contexts.