I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Unit for quantitative analysis in education (EKVA). Currently, I am working in Teachers’ Effect on Student Outcome (TESO) project.
I completed my PhD study at the Department of Teacher Education and School Research, University of Oslo. My dissertation draws on research in science education and international large-scale assessments. I received Bruce H. Choppin Dissertation Award from the International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA).
My research interests lie primarily in the areas of science education and large-scale assessment:
- inquiry-based teaching
- scientific reasoning and argumentation
- teacher competence and instructional quality
- assessment and learning analytics.
- PhD, Science Education, 2019, University of Oslo, Norway.
- M. A., Science Education, 2011, the University of Texas at Austin, USA.
- Diploma, Applied Statistical Modeling, 2011, the University of Texas at Austin, USA.
- B. Ed, Physics, 2005, the State University of Malang, Indonesia.
Awards and fellowships
- Global Education Award, 2021, Global Education Network Europe (GENE).
- Bruce H. Choppin Dissertation Award, 2020, International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA).
- Visiting Researcher Award, Word Education Research Association (WERA), 2020.
- Ambassador’s Awards for Academic Excellence, 2012, The Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia, USA.
- Graduate Dean’s Prestigious Fellowship, 2011, The University of Texas at Austin, USA.
- Critical Thinking Educational Award, 2011, James Randi Educational Foundation, USA.
- International Ford Fellowship, 2009-2011, Ford Foundation, USA.
- PPU3210: Undervisning og læringsforløp i naturfag.
- PPU3220: Vurdering og tilpasset opplæring i naturfag.
- PPU3510D: Undervisning og læring, faglig utvikling, klasse- og læringsledelse.
- PROF3025: Ledelse av elevers læring (naturfagenes fagdidaktikk).
- RDID4030: Naturfagdidaktikk fordypning.
- NATDID4001: Naturfagene, forskning og skole.
- NATDID4002: Naturfagene, forskning og samfunn.
- DIFO4001: Didaktisk forskningsmetode: design og innsamling av data.
- Nilsen, Trude; Scherer, Ronny; Gustafsson, Jan-Eric; Teig, Nani & Kaarstein, Hege (2020). Teachers’ role in enhancing equity: A multilevel structural equation modeling with mediated moderation., In Tove Stjern Frønes; Andreas Pettersen; Jelena Radišić & Nils Buchholtz (ed.), Equity, Equality and Diversity in the Nordic Model of Education. Springer. ISBN 9783030616472. 7. s 173 - 196 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Teig, Nani (2020). Scientific inquiry in TIMSS and PISA 2015. Inquiry as an instructional approach and the assessment of inquiry as an instructional outcome in science. Nordic Studies in Science Education. ISSN 1504-4556. 16(2), s 235 . doi: 10.5617/nordina.8029
- Teig, Nani; Scherer, Ronny & Kjærnsli, Marit (2020). Identifying patterns of students' performance on simulated inquiry tasks using PISA 2015 log‐file data. Journal of Research in Science Teaching. ISSN 0022-4308. 57, s 1400- 1429 . doi: 10.1002/tea.21657 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Teig, Nani; Scherer, Ronny & Nilsen, Trude (2019). I Know I Can, but Do I Have the Time? The Role of Teachers’ Self-Efficacy and Perceived Time Constraints in Implementing Cognitive-Activation Strategies in Science. Frontiers in Psychology. ISSN 1664-1078. 10(3389) . doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.01697 Full text in Research Archive.
- Teig, Nani; Scherer, Ronny & Nilsen, Trude (2018). More isn't always better: The curvilinear relationship between inquiry-based teaching and student achievement in science. Learning and Instruction. ISSN 0959-4752. 56, s 20- 29 . doi: 10.1016/j.learninstruc.2018.02.006 Show summary
- Teig, Nani & Scherer, Ronny (2016). Bringing formal and informal reasoning together - A new era of assessment?. Frontiers in Psychology. ISSN 1664-1078. 7 . doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.01097 Full text in Research Archive.
- Teig, Nani (2016). Students’ ability to think scientifically: Analysis of PISA 2015 and an in-depth case study.