In my PhD project, I am set to investigate educational (in)equity within and across Nordic countries with the data from international large-scale assessments (ILSAs). It aims to enrich the knowledge in the following themes:
- Conceptualization, operationalization and measurement of equity in education
- Validity, reliability and comparability of socioeconomic status (SES) measures
Mediating and moderating mechanisms underlying the association between SES and student learning outcomes
Ethnically diverse student populations and equity
- Educational policies and ILSAs
- Academically resilient students
- Fostering multilingualism in children
M.Sc., Education with Specialization in Educational Research, 2019, University of Gothenburg, Sweden.
M.A., Language and Literature Education (English, German), 2010, Kryvyi Rih State Pedagogical University, Ukraine.
My MSc thesis: "The Mediating Role of Students’ Academic Self-Beliefs in studying Educational Equity. A Comparison between Sweden and Ukraine in TIMSS 2011". This research laid the foundation for my PhD project. It aimed to enrich the understanding of growing inequity in educational outcomes by examining the role of science self-concept, interest and utility value – two sets of academic self-perceptions shaping identity – as mediators of the association between student socioeconomic status (SES) and achievement in science.
Methods: structural equation modeling (SEM) and confirmatory factor analysis (CFA) (single- and multilevel), multigroup modeling, item response theory (IRT).
Softwares: SPSS, Mplus.
- Bergem, Ole Kristian; Nilsen, Trude; Mittal, Oleksandra & Ræder, Henrik Galligani (2020). Can teachers’ instruction increase low-SES students’ motivation to learn mathematics?, In Tove Stjern Frønes; Andreas Pettersen; Jelena Radišić & Nils Buchholtz (ed.), Equity, Equality and Diversity in the Nordic Model of Education. Springer. ISBN 9783030616472. 10. s 251 - 272 Show summary
- Mittal, Oleksandra; Nilsen, Trude & Björnsson, Julius Kristjan (2020). Measuring equity across the Nordic education systems: Conceptual and methodological choices as implications for educational policies., In Tove Stjern Frønes; Andreas Pettersen; Jelena Radišić & Nils Buchholtz (ed.), Equity, Equality and Diversity in the Nordic Model of Education. Springer. ISBN 9783030616472. 3. s 43 - 71 Show summary