Jesper Eckhardt Larsen
- Cultural history of schoolteachers
- Nordic and international history of education
- School history
- University history
- History of educational ideas
- Comparative education
- Politics of knowledge and social epistemology
Larsen has more specifically worked with projects in these four areas
- The history of the concept of dannelse/Bildung and its practical educational significance in Denmark, Nordic countries and Germany.
- The debates on higher education since WWII with special attention to the role and legitimation of the humanities – seen in a comparative international perspective: Norway, Denmark, Germany and the USA.
- Politics of knowledge both generally and more specifically within the field of educational history
- The history of schooling in a Danish and international, colonial perspective with a focus on the monitorial system of instruction 1800-1850
- J.N. Madvigs dannelsestanker: En kritisk humanist i den danske romantik (2002) (The thoughts on education/dannelse by J.N. Madvig (1804-1886): A critical humanist in Danish romanticism).
- «Ikke af brød alene..» Argumenter for humaniora og universitetet i Norge, Danmark, Tyskland og USA 1945-2005 (2006) (“not on bread alone...» Argument for the humanities and the university in Norway, Denmark, Germany and the USA 1945-2005).
- Knowledge, politics and the history of education (2012).
- From Competing Technologies of Mass Schooling to the Spiritual Enlightenment of the Nation: The reception of the monitorial system of education in Denmark 1814-1849 (2014).
- Nordic and international history of education, comparative and international education, curriculum studies/didactics with a special focus on dannelse (Bildung), ExFac educational variant, history of educational ideas, studies on professionalism etc.
Main administrative tasks
- Practical coordination of the writing of bachelor projects (students of education at Aarhus University).
- Research coordination of a Nordic research group on the humanities in society (Nordic Summer University)
- Research coordination of an international research group on “Knowledge, politics and the history of education (Symposium and publishing work).
- Background (education and work)
- 2002- 2007: Ph.D. in Comparative Education from the Danish University of Education (DPU)
- 1995- 1998: Master (Cand. Mag.) in History and Educational studies at Copenhagen University (KU)
- 1995- 1996: Erasmus-student at Freie Universität (FU), Berlin and at Humboldt Universität zu Berlin (HU)
- 1991- 1994: Bachelor in History and Educational Studies from Copenhagen University (KU)
- 1988- 1990: Basis in Natural Sciences (Nat. Bas.) at Roskilde University Centre (RUC)
- 1987- 1988: Undergraduate Studies at Augsburg College, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- 2014- 2017: Associate Professor at the Department of Education, Institute of Education, Faculty of Humanities and Education, University of Agder (UiA)
- 2012- 2014: Research Assistant at the Institute of Education (Institut for Uddannelse og Pædagogik, IUP/DPU), Aarhus University
- 2008- 2012: Assistant Professor (Adjunkt) in the History of Education at the Danish School of Education, Aarhus University
- 2006- 2008: Post doc and external lecturer at the Danish School of Education, Aarhus University
- 2002- 2006: Doctoral student at the Danish University of Education (DPU)
- 1999- 2002: External Lecturer in the history of education at the Institute for Philosophy, Education and Rhetoric, Copenhagen University
- Member of the Strategic council for the University of Agder (UiA) spring 2016
- President of the History of Education Society, Denmark 2012 - 2014
- Vice-President of the History of Education Society, Denmark, 2010-2012 + 2014 – present
- Chief Editor of the Danish Yearbook of the History of Education 2014 – present (www.uddannelseshistorie.dk)
- Co-Editor of the Danish Yearbook of the History of Education 2006 – 2013
- Board member of the Nordic Comparative and International Education Society (NOCIES) 2015-present
- Leader of the international project: ”Knowledge, Politics and the History of Education” including participants from South America, USA, Great Britain, France, Belgium, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark, 2008-2012
- Initiator, manager and responsible for the economy of a circle of scholars under the Nordic Summer University (NSU) “The Humanities in Society,” 2008-2011