Mervi Anneli Hasu
- Mervi Hasu’s research interests include research on innovation and innovation cultures in business as well as in public sector service contexts in workplace, organization and network levels. Interests include also learning at work in various innovation-related activities especially among work teams and grassroots level employees. A particular interest is learning in user-producer relations, user-designer relations and user-employee relations in various innovation-related practices.
- Smart Work in the Platform Economy (SWiPE) project (2016-2019), The Academy of Finland Strategic Research Council, research consortium with University of Turku School of Economics (Consortium Leader prof. Anne Kovalainen), Research Institute of the Finnish Economy (Etla) and the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Mervi Hasu Co-leader (2016-2017) http://www.smartworkresearch.fi/
- Revolution of the service economy – Human being at the core of digitalization project 2015-2018 including 19 project partners, The Finnish Agency for Technology and Innovation Tekes, Finland, coordinated by Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Mervi Hasu Consortium Leader of the project (2015-2017) http://www.digikumous.fi/
- Managing Innovation and Wellbeing in the Public Sector Services project(2010-2013), The Finnish Agency for Technology and Innovation Tekes, Finland, research consortium project coordinated by Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Mervi Hasu Consortium Leader of the project
- Competence and Careers in the Work Organizations project (2009 – 2011),The Finnish Work Environment Fund, Finland, research project coordinated by Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Mervi Hasu Research project Leader and Responsible Researcher
- Proactive Design project (2002 – 2004), The Finnish Agency for Technology and Innovation Tekes, Consortium Leader and Responsible Researcher Professor Yrjö Engeström, University of Helsinki, Mervi Hasu as Project manager
- Candidate and Master level (to be specified)
- Supervision of candidate and master students in the areas of innovation, work-life development, workplace learning, organizational learning, cultural historical activity theory, service research
Higher education and employment histor Education
- 2001 Doctor of Philosophy, University of Helsinki, Faculty of Education, Center for Activity Theory and Developmental Work Research, Major in Adult Education
- 1991 Master of Education, University of Helsinki, Faculty of Education, Major in Adult Education and Sociology
- Senior Researcher, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (FIOH), Centre of Expertise for Occupational Health, Sociotechnical Change, Helsinki, Finland (2015–2017)
- Specialized Researcher, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (FIOH), Centre of Expertise for Work and Work Organization Development, Innovation, Leadership and Competences –team (2009 – 2014)
- Head of Research, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (FIOH), Research administration and development of the R&D&I process and in-house further education of researchers (2004 -2008)
- Project Manager, University of Helsinki, Center for Activity Theory and Developmental Work Research (2002 – 2004)
- Post-doctoral researcher of the Academy of Finland at the University of Helsinki, Faculty of Education and Center for Activity Theory and Developmental Work Research (2000 – 2002)
- Visiting Professor, Roskilde University, Denmark, 2011- 2012
- 2016 Adjunct Professor, Aalto University School of Business, Department of Management Studies, Organization and Management, especially Workplace innovations and employee-driven innovation
- 2015 Adjunct Professor, Lappeenranta University of Technology (LUT) School of Business and Management Academic Unit, Industrial Management, especially Innovation Cultures
- Best Paper Award 2016 ICServ: Pekkarinen, S., Hasu, M., Saari, E., and Melkas, H. “Service digitalization and information ecology: Towards inclusive solutions in Finnish social and health care services” , the 2016 Society of Serviceology ICServ2016 conference at JAIST, Tokyo, Japan
- Best Paper Award 2011 Academy of Management: Peltokorpi, V. and Hasu, M. "The Impact of Transactive Memory and Transformational Leadership on Team Innovation", the Academy of Management Meeting 2011 in San Antonio, Texas, USA.
Hasu, M., Saari, E., Honkaniemi, L., Tuominen, T., Lehtonen, M.H., Kallio, K. & Toivonen, M. (2015). Trajectories of learning in practice-based innovation – organizational roles at play in sustainable innovation management, in M. Elg, P-E. Ellström, M. Klofsten & M. Tillmar (Eds.) Sustainable Development in Organizations, Chapter 9, Edward Elgar, pp. 127-152.
Hasu, M., Toivonen, M., Tuominen, T. & Saari, E., (2015). Employees and users as resource integrators in service innovation – A learning framework, in R. Agarwal, W. Selen, R. Green & G. Roos (Eds.), Handbook of Service Innovation, Chapter 9, Springer-Verlag, pp. 169-192.
Hasu, M., Honkaniemi, L., Saari, E., Mattelmäki, T., & Koponen, L. (2014). Learning employee-driven innovating: Towards sustained practice through multi-method evaluation, Journal of Workplace Learning, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 310-330.
Hasu, M. & Lehtonen, M. (2014). Leadership with care – Constructing responsibility as ‘shared caring’ in a complex public service organisation, Scandinavian Journal of Public Administration, 18 (4):9-28.
Honkaniemi, L., Lehtonen M.H. & Hasu, M. (2015). Well-being and innovativeness: motivational trigger points for mutual enhancement. European Journal of Training and Development, 39(5), 393–408.
Peltokorpi, V. & Hasu, M. (2014). Moderating effects of transformational leadership between external team learning and research team performance outcomes, R&D Management, accepted for publication on June, 2014.
Peltokorpi, V. & Hasu, M. (2014). Transactive memory systems and team innovation: A curvilinear approach, Team Performance Management, accepted for publication on June, 2014.
Peltokorpi, V. & Hasu, M. (2013). How participative safety matters more in team innovation as team size increases. Journal of Business Psychology, 28 (April): 1-9, Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013.
Hasu M., Leitner K-H., Solitander, N. & Varblane, U., (2012) Accelerating the innovation race: Do we need reflexive brakes, in Karl-Erik Sveiby, Pernilla Gripenberg & Beata Segercrantz (Eds.) Challenging the Innovation Paradigm. Pp. 87-112. New York and London: Routledge. Taylor & Francis Group.
Hasu M., Saari E., Mattelmäki T., (2011) Bringing the employee back in: Combining the perspectives of user-driven and employee-driven innovation, in Sundbo J. & Toivonen M. (Eds.) User-Based Innovation in Services. Pp. 251-278. Edvard Elgar, Cheltenham, UK.
Ropponen, Annina; Hakanen, Jari; Hasu, Mervi & Seppänen, Laura (2020). Workers’ health, wellbeing and safety in the digitalizing platform economy. In Poutanen, Seppo; Kovalainen, Anne & Rouvinen, Petri (Ed.), Digital Work and the Platform Economy: Understanding Tasks, Skills and Capabilities in the New Era. Routledge. ISSN 978-1-138-60584-8. p. 56–73.
Saari, Eveliina; Hasu, Mervi ; Käpykangas, Sari & Kovalainen, Anne (2020). Emergence of agentic professional competence in the digitalization of social services and healthcare. In Poutanen, Seppo; Kovalainen, Anne & Rouvinen, Petri (Ed.), Digital Work and the Platform Economy: Understanding Tasks, Skills and Capabilities in the New Era. Routledge. ISSN 978-1-138-60584-8. p. 161–182.
Saari, Eveliina; Käpykangas, Sari & Hasu, Mervi (2019). The Cinderella Story: Employees Reaching for New Agency in the Digital Era. In Toivonen, Marja & Saari, Eveliina (Ed.), Human-Centered Digitalization and Services. Springer Nature. ISSN 9789811377242. p. 285–304. doi: 10.1007/978-981-13-7725-9. Full text in Research Archive
Saari, Eveliina; Käpykangas, Sari & Hasu, Mervi (2018). Ammattilaiset oman työnsä käsikirjoittajina: palveluohjaajat muuttuvien palveluiden navigaattoreina (Professionals as authors of their own work: Service advisors’s role as navigators of changing services). Ammattikasvatuksen aikakauskirja. ISSN 1456-7989. 20(1), p. 62–80.
Hasu, Mervi ; Käpykangas, Sari; Saari, Eveliina & Korvela, Pirjo (2018). Toimistotyöntekijä automaation kynnyksellä - Tekstinkäsittelijöiden työelämäarjen profiilit digitalisoidussa kokoaikaisessa kotietätyössä (The office worker in the advent of automation: An everyday-life view of the work life profiles of typists engaged in home-based, full-time telework). Työelämän tutkimus. ISSN 0788-091X. 16(4), p. 251–274.
Seppänen, Laura; Hasu, Mervi ; Käpykangas, Sari & Poutanen, Seppo (2018). On-demand work in platform economy: implications for sustainable development. In Bagnara, Sebastiano; Tartaglia, Riccardo; Albolino, Sara; Alexander, T. & Fujita, Y. (Ed.), Proceedings of the 20th Congress of International Ergonomics Association (IEA 2018) Volume VIII: Ergonomics and Human Factors in Manufacturing, Agriculture, Building and Construction, Sustainable Development and Mining. Part of the Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing book series (AISC, volume 825) . Springer. ISSN 978-3-319-96067-8. p. 803–811. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-96068-5_86. Full text in Research Archive
Brandenberger, Isabel Alexandra & Hasu, Mervi (2021). Implementing technologies as renegotiating of responsibilities: a study of the emerging work role of the welfare technology coordinator in municipal health care.
Hasu, Mervi (2020). Jungles or gardens in public servants’ work? Agentic resources of employees in the Nordic welfare states .
Käpykangas, Sari; Hasu, Mervi & Saari, Eveliina (2019). ‘Hybrid Professionals’ as change agents in the digital transition of health care .
Hasu, Mervi (2019). Changing competence requirements in public services: consequences of digitization in general and highly specialized work (CORPUS – a new research project) .
de Lange, Thomas & Hasu, Mervi (2019). Innovation in higher education: a conceptual review in current research.
de Lange, Thomas; Hasu, Mervi & Wittek, Anne Line (2019). Innovation of educational practices in higher education—a critical conceptual discussion. Show summary
Hasu, Mervi (2018). Becoming an implementer - Interpretative repertoires of professional agency in research interviews with health care professionals.
Hasu, Mervi (2018). Employees as co-designers of value in platform-mediated work.
Hasu, Mervi & Kilander, Bendik Runesønn (2021). Velferdsteknologi og digital opplæring i helsesektoren. Pedagogiske aspekter og tilrettelegging rundt nettkurs på bydelsnivå i Oslo kommune. Universitetet i Oslo.
Sciuto, Katarina; Winsnes, Sigurd; Nerland, Monika & Hasu, Mervi (2021). Profesjonell agency i digitale arbeidskontekster. En kvalitativ intervjustudie blant ansatte i kommunehelsetjenesten. Universitetet i Oslo.