- Hearing impairment
- Educational audiology
- Cochlear Implant
- Language development
- Aural (re)habilitation
- Communication and Interaction
- Habituation Therapy of Chronic Distressing Tinnitus
- Family therapy
Current research activities
- 2010 – 2013: A study of the ear- and hearing conditions of 220 children in mainstream school classes in one Norwegian community in the light of the children’s language development.
- 2000 - 2013: A longitudinal study of the effect of Tinnitus Habituation therapy – a neurophysiological and educational approach to treating chronic distressing tinnitus.
- 2006 – 2012: A longitudinal study of spoken language development in deaf children receiving bilateral cochlear implants within the 18th living month.
- 2008 – 2011: A study of elderly hearing impaired individuals, consequences of hearing loss and their need for aural rehabilitation.
- 2000 – 2003: Habituation Therapy of Chronic Distressing Tinnitus: Evaluation of treatment shortly after treatment ended.
- 1995 – 1997: Strengthening the offers to individuals wearing hearing aids in Oslo.
- 1993 – 1995: Use and outcome of hearing aids and other amplifying equipment.
- 1983 – 1989: Conditions and function of deaf individuals in Norway. Doctoral Thesis.
- 1981: Hearing Aid – a Necessary Remedy. An investigation on the Effect of
- Intensified Instruction and Information to the Hearing Aid User.
- 1976 – 1977: Amplifying equipment for hearing impaired.
Teaching and scientific work experience
- SPED4110-4120 Master-program on educational audiology
- Continuing and further education courses in educational audiology:
- 2008 - SPED4130V - technical audiology
- 2009 - SPED4140V - tinnitus
- 2006 – 2007 Evaluations – academic positions (scholarships) University of Oslo and University College of Trondheim.
- 2006- Referee for national and international journals
- 2004 – 2007 Opponent/external examiner at doctoral dissertation, University of Copenhagen. Internal member and coordinator of evaluation committees for doctoral theses, University of Oslo.
- 1992 - Teaching, advising and evaluating university students/promotions at all levels. Currently, main advisor for three PhD-students.
- 1988 – 2007 Guest lecturer/examination judge at the University College of Trondheim, the University of Trondheim, the University of Copenhagen, the University College of Oslo.
- Invited lecturer, Trondheim, 2000 “Hearing impairment, rehabilitation and quality of life” and “Hearing impaired individuals’ demands to the chain of rehabilitation”. National Conference on Rehabilitation.
- Portland, Maine, USA, 2001 “Neurophysiological Based Management of Tinnitus. Some results from an evaluation study in Norway”, at the 1st International Adult Aural Rehabilitation Conference.
- 1986 - Examination assessor in audiology, University of Copenhagen.
- 1972 - Teaching a range of students attending different educational programmes (nurses, audiologists, medical doctors, psychologists).
- 1972 – 1999 Educational audiologist and family therapist at Ullevål University Hospital of Oslo (1992 – 1999 part time).
- 1993 Continuing education in family therapy, Diakonhjemmet University College, Oslo, Norway.
- 1992 Specialist in counselling, awarded by The Norwegian Graduate Association in Special Needs Education.
- 1989 Doctor of Philosphy (dr. philos.), Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo (UiO).
- 1980 Cand.paed.spec. The Norwegian Institute of Special Education (NISE), Norway.
- 1978 Registered Interpreter for the Deaf, Norwegian Ministry of Education.
- 1968 Teacher of the hearing impaired/educational audiologist, The Norwegian Institute of Special Education (NISE), Norway.
- 1966 Registered teacher, University College of Oslo, Norway.
Main administrative tasks
- 2009 – 2010 Dean of Studies, Faculty of Educational Sciences, UiO.
- 2007 - 2008 Board member, Department of Special Needs Education, UiO.
- 2006 - 2008 Head of Research at Department of Special Needs Education UiO.
- 2006 - 2008 Deputy Head of Department of Special Needs Education UiO.
- 2006 - 2008 Head of the Research group “Child Language & Learning. Development, Stimulation and Preventive Strategies.
- 1977 – 1987 Head of the official public education for interpreters for the deaf, Norwegian Ministry of Education.
- 2002 – 2005 Board member, Department of Special Needs Education, UiO.
- 2000 – 2002 Deputy Head of Board at Åsen voksenopplæringssenter (Adult Education Centre), Oslo.
- 1990 – 1999 Deputy Head of the Norwegian foundation Signo, formerly known as “Hjemmet for Døve”.
- 1978 – 1988 Chair. The Norwegian Association for Interpreters for the Deaf.
- 1977 – 1988 Head of the working group for developing a public educational programme for interpreters for the deaf in Norway. Norwegian Ministry of Education.
- 1990 – 2005 Deputy Head of the examination assessment committee for the speech- and hearing therapist educational programme, University of Copenhagen.
- 1976 – 1983 Chair. Committee of sign language interpreters. The Norwegian Association for the Deaf.
- 1971 – 1975 Board member Lillehammer Municipal Council, Norway.