My research is within the field of applied English linguistics, more specifically in English didactics (English language education). My main research interest is informal learning through extramural English (digital gaming in particular), often with a focus on L2 vocabulary acquisition. I also do research on assessment of L2 oral proficiency and English language teaching in school.
Dissertation in English linguistics (2009): Extramural English Matters: Out-of-School English and Its Impact on Swedish Ninth Graders' Oral Proficiency and Vocabulary
Book: Sundqvist, P., & Sylvén, L. K. (2016): Extramural English in Teaching and Learning: From Theory and Research to Practice. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
Book: Henry, A., Sundqvist, P., & Thorsen, C. (2019): Motivational Practice: Insights from the Classroom. Lund: Studentlitteratur
Editor, Special issue: Sylvén, L. K., & Sundqvist, P. (2017). Computer-Assisted Language Learning (CALL) in Extracurricular/Extramural Contexts. CALICO Journal, 34(1).
- EDID4002: Basic Skills in English (Master course)
- PPU4009: Master's Thesis in English subject didactics
- PROF4045: Tilrettelegging for elevers læring [Differentiation for student learning]
- PPU3210: Praktisk-pedagogisk utdanning 1. sem (PPU): Undervisning og læringsforløp
- PPU3220: Praktisk-pedagogisk utdanning 2. sem (PPU): Vurdering og tilpasset opplæring
- PPU1015: Profesjonsidentitet, læring og undervisning
- UV9501: Mixed Methods (PhD course)
- UV9919V1: Researching Multilingualism in Education (PhD course)
- Doctoral candidates (PhD): Co-supervisor for Signe Hannibal Jensen at the University of Southern Denmark (2015-18), Andreas Bengtsson at Stockholm University (2017-22), and Alexandra Schurz at the University of Vienna (2018-2021).
- Doctoral candidates (Licentiate's thesis): Co-supervisor for Paul Morris at Mälardalen University (2016-20), for Liliann Byman-Frisén at Karlstad University (2017-22), and for Ann-Kristin Hamberg at Karlstad University (2017-22).
- MA students: Main supervisor for Vilde Matilde Skram (2019) and Kyrre Tveiten (2019), the University of Oslo. Co-supervisor for Shilan Ahmadian (2018), the University of Oslo.
- Associate professor, English: August 2018--, University of Oslo
- Associate professor, English: September 2014--, Karlstad University
- Senior lecturer, English: January 2010-August 2014, Karlstad University
- Doctoral candidate: January 2005-December 2009, Karlstad University
- Teacher (English, Swedish, Spanish): July 1989-December 2004: Various secondary and upper secondary schools in Sweden
Publications [under construction]
- Sundqvist, Pia (2019). Commercial-off-the-shelf games in the digital wild and L2 learner vocabulary. Language Learning & Technology. ISSN 1094-3501. 23(1), s 87- 113 . doi: 10125/44674
- Henry, Alastair; Korp, Helena; Sundqvist, Pia & Thorsen, Cecilia (2018). Motivational strategies and the reframing of English: Activity design and challenges for teachers in contexts of extensive extramural encounters. TESOL quarterly (Print). ISSN 0039-8322. 52(2), s 247- 273 . doi: 10.1002/tesq.394
- Sundqvist, Pia; Wikström, Peter; Sandlund, Erica & Nyroos, Lina (2018). The teacher as examiner of L2 oral tests: A challenge to standardization. Language Testing. ISSN 0265-5322. 35(2), s 217- 238 . doi: 10.1177/0265532217690782
- Nyroos, Lina; Sandlund, Erica & Sundqvist, Pia (2017). Code-switched repair initiation: The case of Swedish eller in L2 English test interaction. Journal of Pragmatics. ISSN 0378-2166. 120, s 1- 16 . doi: 10.1016/j.pragma.2017.08.008
- Sandlund, Erica & Sundqvist, Pia (2016). Equity in L2 English oral assessment: Criterion-based facts or works of fiction?. Nordic Journal of English Studies. ISSN 1654-6970. 15(2), s 113- 131
- Sandlund, Erica; Sundqvist, Pia & Nyroos, Lina (2016). Research-based professional development workshops for EFL teachers: Focus on oral test interaction and assessment. Nordic Journal of Modern Language Methodology. ISSN 1894-2245. 4(1), s 24- 48
- Henry, Alastair; Sundqvist, Pia & Thorsen, Cecilia (2019). Motivational Practice: Insights from the Classroom. Studentlitteratur AB. ISBN 978-91-44-11848-2. 329 s.
- Sundqvist, Pia; Brevik, Lisbeth M.; Sandlund, Erica & Rindal, Ulrikke Elisabeth (2019). Conference paper: A comparative study of language use in L2 English multilingual secondary school classrooms in Norway and Sweden. Show summary
- Sundqvist, Pia & Sylvén, Liss Kerstin (2018). Unveiling the force of learner-initiated informal language learning: Extramural learning. Language Magazine. January, s 30- 31
- Sylvén, Liss Kerstin & Sundqvist, Pia (2017). Editorial. Special issue: Computer-assisted language learning (CALL) in extracurricular/extramural contexts. CALICO journal. ISSN 0742-7778. 34(1), s i- iv . doi: 10.1558/cj.31822