The Centre for Professional Learning in Teacher Education (ProTed) is the first Centre of Excellence (SFU) awarded in Norway (2012-2021).
ProTed is a joint venture between the University of Oslo (UiO) and the University of Tromsø (UiT), the Norwegian Arctic University. UiO servers as the host institution for the centre. ProTed works with the development of quality in all integrated, research based teacher education programs in Norway (1-7, 5-10 and 8-13). The Centre will develop a professional education which will provide teacher students with the tools and competence necessary in a multicultural and technology-rich knowledge society.
The centre’s vision is to develop innovative, relevant and coherent teacher education programs of high quality. To realize this vision the centre builds on the following principles:
- Continued development of research based teacher education programs
- Systematic work with models of coherence and progression in programs
- Systematic work with the integration of different knowledge bases contributing to programs
- Continuing development of partnerships between schools and universities to promote research and professional development
Goals for ProTed towards 2021
- The goal of ProTed is to contribute to changes in teacher education locally, nationally and internationally through systematic experimentation with innovation.
- ProTed will contribute to the national and international knowledge base on design and implementation of models promoting quality in teacher education programs.
- ProTed will develop models and principles for transformation for integration in teacher education programs
- ProTed will develop quality indicators for excellence in integrated teacher education programs
- ProTed will contribute to innovation in teacher education, also after the SFU period is over
- ProTed will contribute to academic arenas nationally and internationally in teacher education and maintain strong research connections to excellent international institutions
- ProTed will contribute to national educational policy arenas where decisions are made concerning teacher education