Nora Elise Hesby Mathé
Social studies education, conceptual understanding, thought and language, politics and Democracy, students' lifeworld
Nora Elise Hesby Mathé is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Nordic Centre of Excellence: Quality in Nordic Teaching (QUINT). She currently works on a postdoctoral project titled 'Examining how students and teachers engage with knowledge domains in social studies'. This work is part of QUINT's LISA Nordic Study Linking Instruction and Student Achievement in Nordic Schools (LISA Nordic), a large-scale video study, investigating the quality of teaching in Nordic classrooms.
PhD project (2014 - 2019)
Students’ Perceptions of Democracy, Politics and Citizenship Preparation in Upper Secondary Social Studies (concluded in 2019)
The main purpose of the study is to investigate how 16 – 17-year-old students enrolled in the obligatory subject ‘social studies’ perceive and relate to the concepts of ‘democracy’ and ‘politics’. In addition, the study aims at investigating the students’ perspectives on the school subject social studies and which factors that are related to students’ perceptions of citizenship preparation in the subject. Democratic and political theory as well as literature on citizenship education frame the study. The project utilises multiple methods: group interviews, individual interviews and a quantitative survey.
Supervisor: Eyvind Elstad
Co-supervisor: Lisbeth M Brevik
- Social studies didactics (subject pedagogy) for BA courses PPU/PROF
- SDID 4001, 4002, 4009 - MA in Social studies didactics
PhD in social studies didactics (2019) from the Department of teacher education and school research, University of Oslo.
I have a Master's degree in social studies education (2010), and have worked as a teacher in upper secondary school (2010 - 2014).
Research collaboration with the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences Education, University of Stockholm
Research collaboration with the Berkeley Graduate School of Education, University of California, Berkeley
The Research Group TEPEC (Teachers’ Professional Development and Educational Change)
NATED - National Graduate School in Educational Research
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby & Elstad, Eyvind (2020). Exploring students’ effort in social studies. Nordidactica. ISSN 2000-9879. (1), s 65- 87 Show summary
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby & Elstad, Eyvind (2018). Students’ Perceptions of Citizenship Preparation in Social Studies: The Role of Instruction and Students’ Interests.. Journal of Social Science Education. ISSN 1611-9665. 17(3), s 75- 87 . doi: 10.4119/UNIBI/jsse-v0-i0-1779 Full text in Research Archive.
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2017). Engagement, Passivity and Detachment: 16-year-old Students’ Conceptions of Politics and the Relationship between People and Politics. British Educational Research Journal. ISSN 0141-1926. . doi: 10.1002/berj.3313 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby & Elstad, Eyvind (2017). Elevers vurdering av politikeres bruk av sosiale medier i et postfakta-samfunn og implikasjoner for samfunnsfaget. Nordidactica. ISSN 2000-9879. 2017(3), s 71- 96 Full text in Research Archive.
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2016). Students' understanding of the concept of democracy and implications for teacher education in social studies :. Acta didactica Norden. ISSN 1504-9922. 10(2), s 271- 289
- Biseth, Heidi; Lenz, Claudia; Leming, Tove; Huang, Lihong; Anker, Trine; Erdal, Silje Førland; Sæther, Elin; Kvamme, Ole Andreas; Korbøl, Karsten; Kristiansen, Aslaug; Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby; Wistrøm, Øyvind; Aamaas, Åsmund; Madsen, Janne; Roos, Merethe; Eriksen, Kristin Gregers; Hofmann, Andrea; Hope, Christine; Hauge, Kjellrun Hiis; Lilland, Inger Elin; Abtahi, Yasmine; Johnsen-Høines, Marit; Gøtze, Peter; Kacerja, Suela; Breivega, Kjersti Maria Rongen; Jobst, Solvejg; Berdinesen, Hein; Skårås, Merethe; Sæverot, Herner; Lippe, Marie von der & Moldrheim, Solveig (2019). La elevene bli rustet til å møte de store samfunnsutfordringene, Jan Tore Sanner!. Forskning.no. ISSN 1891-635X.
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2019). Democracy and Politics in Upper Secondary Social Studies: Students’ Perceptions of Democracy, Politics, and Citizenship Preparation. Doktoravhandlinger forsvart ved Det utdanningsvitenskapelige fakultet, Universitetet i Oslo. 301. Show summary
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2019). PhD revisited: Students’ Perceptions of Democracy, Politics, and Citizenship Preparation and Implications for Social Studies Education. Nordic Journal of Comparative and International Education (NJCIE). ISSN 2535-4051. 3(1) . doi: https://doi.org/10.7577/njcie.3355
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2019). Preparing to teach democracy: Student teachers’ assessment of a democracy exercise in social studies teacher education.
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby & Sandahl, Johan (2019). Between the lifeworld and academia: Defining political issues in social science education.
- Aashamar, Peter; Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby & Brevik, Lisbeth M. (2018). Diskusjon som flerfaglig demokratisk ferdighet. Bedre Skole. ISSN 0802-183X. (3), s 31- 35
- Brøyn, Tore & Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2018, 12. september). Intervju: Ungdommers forhold til politikk og demokrati. [Fagblad]. Bedre skole.
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2018). Seminar, University of Oxford: Students’ Perceptions of Democracy, Politics, and Citizenship Preparation in Upper Secondary Social studies.
- Aashamar, Peter Nicolai; Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby & Brevik, Lisbeth M. (2017). MA thesis: Diskusjon og demokrati. En videostudie av muligheter for diskusjon om samfunnsfaglige tema.
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2017). Conference presentation ECER: Students’ conceptions of politics and the relationship between people and politics.
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2017). Conference presentation ECPR: Similarities and differences between 16-year-old students’ and academics’ characterisation of criteria for more or less political issues.
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2017). Conference presentation Nofa6: How do 16-year-old students characterise political issues?.
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2016). Conference presentation, AERA: Students' understanding of the concept of democracy and implications for teacher education in social studies.
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2016). Presentation, University of Oxford: 16-year-old students' understanding of the concept of politics: Some conceptual challenges in a PhD project..
- Mathé, Nora Elise Hesby (2015). Begrepsforståelse i samfunnsfag. Hva vil vi med begrepene?. Bedre Skole. ISSN 0802-183X. (1), s 68- 72