On this website we have gathered the information you need to know with regards to the Master's Thesis. The information is intended for students of the master's programme in Special Needs Education.
What should I write my thesis on?
- Would you like to write your thesis in collaboration with one of the department’s research projects?
Would you like to write your thesis in collaboration with a company or organisation? Find a project through UiO's Science Shop
Project planning - Research proposal
The Master's Thesis is based on the research proposal compiled during the compulsory master’s thesis seminar.
You may choose to do the data-collection abroad, i.e. in your home country.
Two students can choose to write their thesis together, i.e. co-author a master thesis.
Writing the Master's Thesis
Tips and help with writing
- The Academic writing centre offers writing assistance to students at any stage of the writing process. Find more information about the writing center and book a consultation here.
- On the website Search & Write you can find useful tips for thesis writing related to the writing process, language, style and structure.
Leave of Absence and Delay
The Department of Special Education covers the costs of one printed copy of your Master's Thesis, with the condition that you use UiO's Print Centre. Select black/white two-sided print. You will have to cover the costs for pages that contain colors yourself.
When you order, use the location code 18150000 and budget code 102498002.
The Master's thesis is assessed by an examination committee consisting of two examiners, at least one of whom must be an external examiner. The candidate’s supervisor cannot be one of these persons. The Master's Thesis is assessed against the criteria defined in the assessment guidelines. The examination committee must reach a consensus regarding the grade.
The grading deadline for master's theses is 8 weeks. A written explanation of the grade will be published together with the grade in Studentweb on the date of the deadline.
When you have completed a study programme, your diploma is issued automatically. The diploma will be sent to the adress registered in Studentweb. Make sure the adress you have registered is correct.
If you want to improve the results that constitute part of a degree, you can defer your diploma for up to two semesters.
If you have questions regarding your diploma contact the Student information center at the faculty
As a student at the Faculty of Educational Sciences you have access to the reading rooms and group rooms at Helga Engs hus. Master's students may apply for a permanent desk.
Do you need someone to talk to about your studies?
- The Department administration has drop-in hours on Wednesdays from 12:15am -2:00pm
- You may also book an appointment with a student adviser through UV Student Information Centre