How has digital technology changed the ways that we communicate, make sense of our world and learn from our experiences?
My research focus on how new technologies transform learning practices in formal schooling. Theoretically, my work is based on the premise that, in order to understand learning, we need to investigate how individuals interact and utilise different cultural tools in a variety of settings. Analytically, my attention has centred on investigating the intersection between the individual and his/her surroundings, following activities moment to moment and over time. Empirically, I have often investigated collaboration around different types of texts when students use computers. This means that my special interest, curiosity and research agenda is to contribute to a better understanding of our socially constructed mind and the implications of new digital technologies and how these have entered and altered our lives, institutions and cultures. The central concerns of my work are briefly how we change and learn with the use of cultural tools, both linguistic and material.
- Take a look at the educational microblogging tool: Talkwall
Higher education and employment history
- 2017: Department of Education, UiO. Professor
- 2010- 2017: Department of education, UiO. Associate professor
- 2006-2010: Post doc, UiO. TWEAK (Tweaking Wikis for Education and Adwancement of Knowledge)
- 2005-2006: Researcher in the TRANSFORM project, University of Bergen
- 2000-2005: PhD, UiO. Thesis title: Project Work and ICT: Studying Learning as Participation Trajectories
- 1999-2000: Norwegian Schoolnet
- 1997-1999: Pedagogical psychological counsellor
- 1997: Master of Education, University of Oslo.
- 1993: Bachelor of Social Science, University of Oslo. Economics and pedagogy.
- University of Oslo Library board
- Editorial board of the Journal Outlines
- Chair ISCAR conference in Norway 2007
- Chair student volunteers CSCL Bergen 2003
- International journal of Learning, Culture and Social Interaction
- International journal for Educational Research
- International journal for Computer Support for Collaborative Learning
- Mind, Culture and Activity
- Nordic Journal of Digital Literacy
- Acta Didaktika