Teaching for text comprehension: Supporting young second-language learners’ text comprehension in urban multiethnic preschools in Norway (PreComp)
Although we know that the competencies (e.g. oral language skills) young children develop during the preschool years are of major importance for their reading comprehension and academic success in school, little is known about how preschools may prepare children for their future learning and text comprehension.
About the project
Particularly, there is a dearth of research on how to effectively enhance the emergent literacy growth of bilingual learners in preschool. The present project aims to fill this void - building on a conceptual model that considers bilingual text comprehension as a multidimensional and dynamic construct.
The project has two primary objectives
- To determine the immediate and long term effects of a shared book reading intervention designed to enhance bilingual learners` comprehension of text.
- To explore the growth of different language skills hypothesized to affect text comprehension and their relative role in predicting text comprehension.
The project also has two secondary objectives
- To develop knowledge with implications for professional development addressing how preschool teachers may aid in preparing bilingual learners for future learning and text comprehension.
- To disseminate the knowledge gained from the project to the research community, policy makers, educators and parents.
- Professor Vibeke Grøver, Department of Education, University of Oslo
- Dr. Veslemøy Rydland, Department of Education, University of Oslo
- Lill-Kristin Mørch
- Marianne Lindvær
- Sigrunn Skretting
- Carina Heiman
- Merete Andersen
- Eirill Mathisen
- Professor Catherine Snow, Harvard University
- Professor Paul Leseman, Utrecht University
- Professor Francisco Pons, Department of Psycholgy, University of Oslo
- The Deichmanske Library, Oslo
- Preschools in the greater Oslo area
- The Faculty of Humanities and Education at Vestfold University College
- Vibeke Grøver (2016). Implementing interventions: Building a shared understanding of why. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development. ISSN 1520-3247. 2016, s 109- 112
- Vibeke Grøver & Veslemøy Rydland (2016). Språklæring og tekstforståelse i barnehagen - de første resultatene.
- Vibeke Grøver; Veslemøy Rydland; Svitlana Kucherenko & Mari Hustad Sandøy (2016). Enhancing vocabulary development in young bilingual learners through text talk in school and at home..
- Vibeke Grøver (2016). Language learning and text comprehension in language minority children - the Oslo study..
- Vibeke Grøver (2016). Språklæring og tekstforståelse - hva kan barnehagen gjøre for å støtte tospråklige barns språklige læring?.
- Vibeke Grøver (2016). Språklæring og tekstforståelse i barnehagen.
- Vibeke Grøver & Veslemøy Rydland (2016). Text-talk in preschool supports young emergent bilinguals' vocabulary learning..
- Vibeke Grøver (2015). Hva er randomiserte kontrollerte forsøk og hva skal til for å lykkes?.
- Vibeke Grøver (2015). Språklæring og tekstforståelse i barnehagen - en studie av tospråklige barn..
- Veslemøy Rydland & Vibeke Grøver (2015). Trust in text in children who do not receive reading instruction until age 6: Results from a Norwegian sample..
- Veslemøy Rydland & Vibeke Grøver (2015). Bilingual children's vocabulary development from preschool to fifth grade: the mpact of amount versus diversity of talk exposure..
- Vibeke Grøver (2014). Randomiserte, kontrollerte intervensjonsstudier.
- Vibeke Grøver; Veslemøy Rydland; Asta Cekaite & Karin Aronsson (2014). Interlocutor awareness in young second-language learners' peer talk.
- Vibeke Grøver (2014). Bilingual children's second-language vocabulary learning in preschool: the impact of teacher and peer talk.
- Vibeke Grøver & Veslemøy Rydland (2014). Young language minority children's language learning and textcomprehension.
- Veslemøy Rydland; Vibeke Grøver & Joshua Lawrence (2013). Learning a Second Language in Preschool: Children With High First-Language Skills Benefit More From Rich Second-Language Exposure.
- Vibeke Grøver; Veslemøy Rydland & Joshua Lawrence (2013). Who benefits from a rich language environment in preschool: a study of bilingual children.
- Veslemøy Rydland & Vibeke Grøver (2013). The long-term impact of preschool dialogues for Turkish immigrant children‘s Norwegian vocabulary.
- Vibeke Grøver; Veslemøy Rydland & Joshua F. Lawrence (2013). Second-language vocabulary trajectories from age five to ten: the role of preschool talk quality.
- Vibeke Grøver (2013). Young language-minority children's participation in preschool talk: long-term implications?.
- Vibeke Grøver (2013). Second-language Speakers in Scandinavian Early Childhood Education.
- Vibeke Grøver (2013). Young Immigrant Children’s Vocabulary Trajectories from Preschool to School: Lessons from Scandinavia.
- Vibeke Grøver (2013). Young Immigrant Children’s Language Learning and Text Comprehension in Norway: Using an Observation-based Longitudinal Study to Outline a Randomized Controlled Intervention Study.