Special Issue: Nordic values and schooling during COVID-19
QUINT researchers have edited Special Issue on the Nordic experiences during Covid-19 in the Education in the North journal.
Full version (pdf)
A school for all – based on a non-track, non-streamed inclusive model of education is a key characteristic of the Nordic comprehensive ideal of schooling, and access to a well-funded and open school model is a key asset of the Nordic welfare policies. During the lockdown related to the COVID-19 pandemic during 2020-21, children and young people around the world were offered different models of home schooling and/or a combination of partly open schools and home schooling. This special issue reports from experiences of home schooling be it teachers’ perspectives, parents’ perspectives and the voices of students and school leaders during this first year of the pandemic. The articles differ in methodological approaches spanning surveys, interviews and narrative approaches. While most of the articles reporting from the parents’ perspective draw on survey data, most of the articles capturing teachers’ perspectives report from interviews and/or narrative approaches. The papers from across Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and the UK, discuss the issue of shock-digitalization or Emergency Remote Schooling (ERS), as several of the authors frame it, from a Nordic perspective.
- Editorial "Nordic values' and schooling during COVID-19: how to balance comprehensive education and sustainable pandemic regulations"
Kirsti Klette, Anna Kristin Sigurdardottir, Helen Martin
- Finland "Teaching and supporting students with special educational needs at a distance during the COVID-19 school closures in Finland: special needs teachers' experiences"
Riikka Aarnos, Christel Sundqvist, Kristina Ström
- Iceland "Teachers in new situations during the COVID-19 period: impact on professional collaboration and quality of teaching"
Hermína Gunnþórsdóttir, Berglind Gísladóttir, Ylfa Guðný Sigurðardóttir
- "Classrooms going online: Nordic lower secondary teachers' readiness at the COVID-19 outbreak"
Marie Nilsberth, Anna Slotte, Tina Høegh, Sólveig Zophoníasdóttir, Jenny Högström, Annelie Johansson, Christina Olin-Scheller, Eva Tarander.
- Finland "Changes and actions taken in online teaching during the first period of COVID-19: a teacher perspective on pupils' equity"
Anna Slotte, Katarina Rejman, Kirsi Wallinheimo.
- Sweden "Swedish upper secondary school teachers' experiences with coping with emergency remote teaching (ERT) - emerging pedagogical issues in pandemic times"
Anders D. Olofsson, J Ola Lindberg, Göran Fransson.
- Sweden "'I miss the physical presence of the students': Swedish teachers' experiences of online teaching and learning during the COVID-19 pandemic"
Eva Alerby, Niclas Ekberg, Megan Johansson
- Sweden "Swedish vocational teachers' informal workplace learning during the initial phase of the COVID-19 crisis"
- Finland "Every cloud has a silver lining - Finnish guardians' experiences of the positive outcomes of emergency remote schooling during the COVID-19 pandemic"
Anu Alanko, Jaana Juutinen
- "Parental experiences of education at home during a pandemic"
Sanna Rehman, Katherine Gibson Smith, Amudha Poobalan
- Finland "Parental trust in the Finnish basic education system during the COVID-19 pandemic"
Tommi Wallenius, Satu Koivuhovi, Mari-Pauliina Vainikainen
- Norway "Individualised home-schooling - at odds with the equity ambitions in the Nordic model of education?"
Cecilie Pedersen Dalland, Mark Christopher White, Marte Blikstad-Balas, Astrid Roe
- "Home-schooling for children with disabilities during the pandemic: a study of digital-, musical- and socio-economic conversion factors"
Kjetil Klette Bøhler.
- Denmark "Long-term consequences of COVID-19 on students' well-being and values"
- Norway "Crisis as opportunity: experiences of Norwegian school leaders during the COVID-19 pandemic"
Mari-Ana Jones, Erlend Dehlin, Kristin Skoglund, Carl F. Dons
Special Issue: Klette K., Sigurðardóttir, A. K. and Martin, H. (2021). "Nordic values and schooling during COVID-19 how to balance comprehensive education and sustainable pandemic regulations" in Education in the North, 28(3).