Lisbeth M. Brevik
My field of research is English didactics, classroom research and teacher education. Over the years, I have gained expertise in game-based mixed methods research, in particular the relation between playing online games and reading comprehension. I am interested in the connection between education and research, research ethics, research methods (mixed methods) and open data. Currently, I am the Principal Investigator of four externally funded research projects, and a Circle U. Chair.
Book on the new English subject: Brevik, L.M. & Rindal, U. (Eds.) (2020). Teaching English in Norwegian classrooms: From research to practice. Universitetsforlaget.
Anthology on English didactics: Rindal, U. & Brevik, L.M. (Eds.) (2019). English didactics in Norway - 30 years of doctoral research. Universitetsforlaget.
Special issue editor: Brevik, L.M. & Fosse, B.O. (Eds.) (2016). Teacher education in the 21st century: traditions, challenges, changes. Acta Didactica Norway, 10(2).
Doctoral thesis on reading strategies: Brevik, L.M. (2015). How teachers teach and readers read. Developing reading comprehension in English in Norwegian upper secondary school.
- UV9501 Mixed Methods Research (PhD)
- UV9030 Research Design (PhD)
- EDID4001 Quality English Teaching (MA)
- EDID4009 Master's Thesis in English subject didactics (MA)
- EDID4102 English in and out of School (MA)
- EDID4115 Linguistic, Literary and Cultural Approaches to Teaching English (MA)
- PPU/PROF3025 Ledelse av elevers læring (English didactics) (BA)
- PPU/PROF4045 Tilrettelegging for elevers læring (English didactics) (BA)
- PhD: Main supervisor for Shilan Ahmadian (2020-24), Julie C Uvsløkk (2020-23) and Ingrid R Beiler (2016-20) at UiO, Astrid E Kure at HiØ (2018-23) and Karina R Mahan at USN (2015-18). Co-supervisor for Victoria Batt-Rawden at HINN (2019-22), and Nora E H Mathé at UiO (2017-19).
MA: Main supervisor for Anna Andreassen (2022), Julie Darras (2022), Magnus Hasting (2022), Sarah Aspli (2021), Thea Holm (2020), Mette Hvalstad (2020), Kjersti Øvereng (2020), Øystein Gulbrandsen (2019), Annie Olafsrud (2019), Shilan Ahmadian (2018), Anja Isaksen (2018), Lisa Bentsen (2017), Katharina Garvoll (2017), Manuela Iannuzzi (2017), Sigrid Listuen (2017), Mina Solberg (2017), Ingrid Hjeltnes (2016). Co-supervisor for Sofie Aspli (2022), Tollef Kristensen (2022), Fredrik Torheim (2022), Vilde Almestrand (2021), Rebecca Barreng (2021), Kyrre Hellevang (2019), Vilde Skram (2019), Maja Ivancevic (2018), Martina Pentrella (NTNU, 2017), Sturla Sagli (2017), Peter Aashamar (2017), Ola Andresen (2016) og Marte Sibbern (2013).
Honours and awards
- 2020: Recognized lecturer, Universitety of Oslo
- 2020: The Education Prize, University of Oslo (see lecture)
- 2019: Prize for excellent research dissemination, Faculty of Education, University of Oslo
- 2019: Top downloaded article within language & linguistics, Springer Nature. Article: Brevik, L. M. (2019). Explicit reading strategy instruction or daily use of strategies? Studying the teaching of reading comprehension through naturalistic classroom observation in English L2. Reading and Writing, 32, 2281-2310
- 2021-d.d.: Circle U. Academic Chair, WP6 - Shaping the future of Higher Education in a Changing World
- 2021-d.d.: Professor of English didactics, Department of Teacher Education and School Research, University of Oslo
- 2020-d.d.: PhD coordinator, Department of Teacher Education and School Research, University of Oslo
- 2020-d.d.: Member of Pedagogical Academy, University of Oslo
- 2020-d.d.: Member of National committee for ph.d. education for UHR-teacher education
- 2020-d.d.: Advisory board member, SAGE Handbook of Mixed Methods Research Designs
- 2018-d.d.: Common Room Member, Kellogg College, University of Oxford, UK
- 2018-d.d.: Editorial board member, International Journal of Multiple Research Approaches (IJMRA)
- 2020: Member of response group for quality criteria for learning material in English, Directorate of Education and Training
- 2019: Visiting scholar, Department of Education and Special Education, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2019: Nordic expert of English for Rådet for Faglighed i de Gymnasiale Uddannelser, Ministry of Education, Denmark
- 2019: Consultant for assessment in the subjects in the Subject Renewal reform (LK20), Directorate of Education and Training
- 2019-2021: Program evaluator for the teacher education program, Faculty of Humanities, University of Bergen
- 2018: Visiting scholar, Department of Education, Washington University in St Louis, USA
- 2018-2020: Executive board member, Mixed Methods International Research Association (MMIRA)
- 2016-2018: External expert for the project "Systematic review related to the area of teaching reading comprehension strategies to enhance students' reading comprehension" at The Swedish Institute for Educational Research. See article in Bedre Skole.
- 2015-2021: Associate Professor of English didactics, Department of Teacher Education and School Research, University of Oslo
- 2015-2018: Associate Professor II related to the project Læringsstøttende prøver i engelsk for Vg1, Department of foreign languages, University of Bergen. See article in Bedre Skole
- 2015: PhD in English didactics, Universitety of Oslo
- 2014: Recognized doctoral student, University of Oxford, UK
- 2000-2011: English teacher in lower secondary school. Department head in lower and upper secondary school.