PeTS; Faculty peer-tutoring in teaching and supervision - Innovation teacher collaboration practices in Norwegian higher education
The main aim of the project is to create collaborative teaching and supervision practices among teachers in higher education. Based on our systematic intervention we will develop research-based knowledge about peer tutoring.
About the project
Our point of departure is methods for peer tutoring that have turned out to work in ways that make teachers reflect on and develop their own teaching/supervision. Peer review of supervision (PRS) is a model structuring conversations related to experienced challenges in supervising students. The participants describe and submit case descriptions of problems they are facing, which are critically discussed and analyzed in peer groups. Peer review of teaching (PRT) is a model structuring conversations related to planning, observing and reviewing teaching by peers. The participants describe and submit detailed lesson plans, which are presented to and critically discussed in peer groups. The project will also explore how these collaborative efforts can be supported by using digital tools.
To combine the level of innovation and the need for research, we approach this project based on Cultural-Historical Activity Theory (CHAT), drawing particularly on a five-phase experimental cycle. The first phases aim at mapping and analyzing established strategies on teaching/supervision and the need for innovation. The historical and situational aspects of each case will be taken into consideration. The adjusted methods will be applied in the middle phases and data will be collected. The whole process will be analyzed in the final phase. Here we closely consider the characteristics of the involved context and possible implications in a longitudinal perspective.
- PhD supervision at the Faculty of Medicine
- Master supervision at the Faculty of Humanities
- Teaching at a professional program in pharmacy
- Teaching at a professional program in theology
Funded by The Norwegian Research Council`s FINNUT program (Research and Innovation in the Educational Sector)
- Anne Line Wittek & Thomas de Lange (2021). Action learning as means for supervisor development, In Anne Lee & Rob Bongaardt (ed.), The Future of Doctoral Research. Challenges and Opportunities. Routledge. ISBN 9780367858490. kapittel 21.
- Rachelle Esterhazy; Thomas de Lange; Siri Sofie Vasrud Bastiansen & Anne Line Wittek (2021). Moving Beyond Peer Review of Teaching: A Conceptual Framework for Collegial Faculty Development. Review of Educational Research. ISSN 0034-6543.
- Thomas de Lange & Anne Line Wittek (2020). Analysing the constitution of trust in peer-based teacher mentoring groups – a sociocultural perspective. Teaching in Higher Education. ISSN 1356-2517. s 1- 15
- Thomas de Lange & Per Lauvås (2018). Kollegaveiledning i høyere utdanning: – en empirisk analyse av veiledningssamtaler. UNIPED. ISSN 1500-4538. 41, s 259- 274
- Thomas de Lange & Anne Line Wittek (2018). Creating shared spaces: developing teaching through peer supervision. Mind, Culture, and Activity. ISSN 1074-9039. 25, s 324- 339
- Anne Line Wittek (2019). Hvordan skape kultur for læring og utvikling?.
- Siri Sofie Vasrud Bastiansen & Thomas de Lange (2019). Data Management in the PeTS project - In accordance with the new GDPR-regulations.
- Anne Line Wittek (2019). Faculty peer-tutoring in teaching and supervision (PeTS), Innovating teacher collaboration practices in Norwegian higher education.
- Anne Line Wittek (2019). Kollegialt samarbeid om PhD-veiledning.
- Anne Line Wittek & Thomas de Lange (2019). Research on developing faculty peer tutoring practices in teaching and supervision in a university context (PeTS)—An innovation project (2018–2022) funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
- Siri Sofie Vasrud Bastiansen; Thomas de Lange & Anne Line Wittek (2019). ‘How do I handle this case?’ Analysing the implementation of peer-tutoring group work for master supervisors.
- Thomas de Lange; Mervi Hasu & Anne Line Wittek (2019). Innovation of educational practices in higher education—a critical conceptual discussion.
- Anne Line Wittek (2018). Collaborative practices for University Teachers - obstacles and potentialities.
- Anne Line Wittek & Thomas de Lange (2018). Tverrfaglig samarbeid og kollegaveiledning.
- Thomas de Lange (2018). PeTS prosjektet: Lærersamarbeid om veiledning og undervisning.